Chapter Two

That evening I left to the cliff side, waiting for Azriel's one hour of freedom to end. As I sat on the rock, watching the waves splash. I brainstormed ideas of what we can do together.

My first idea was food. What better way to cheer someone up than to feed them, especially a growing child like Azriel. They didn't seem to feed him enough, his bones were weak and he had little muscle.

I don't like to steal but when I can't do anything about it, I have to. I was hungry and Azriel was probably the same. So my plan is to go find food together. Azriel knows the Night Court better than I do so I want to wait for him.

The hour was soon up, so I made my way back to the cell. I found Azriel seated on the bed when I traveled into the room.

"How was your time outside?" I asked sitting next to him.

He held no emotion as he said, "I didn't do much. I ate what they gave me and then came back."

I frowned. Even the freedom he is given isn't freedom.

"I got you the cloak you wanted." He changed the subject. "One of the servants was kind enough to to give me it. But what do you need it for?" His curiosity resurfaced.

"Are you hungry?" I ask, putting on the cloak.

"I just ate, even if it wasn't much." He replied muttering.

"Well, even if you did eat, I haven't eaten anything since I got here so we are going out to eat."

His scrunched his face. "That's dangerous. How are we going to get any food?"

"You know the Night Court better than me, so you tell me? Is there a market around here? Or garden of some sort?" I ask.

"There is a market that happens in Hewn City. It's open even at night."

A smile forms on my lips. "Great! Then that's where we'll go." I take his hand, but he pulls back.

"We can't go there. Hewn City is the base of the Night Court. There will be more Fae than you could imagine and all of them will want to kill you." He warned.

"I expect as much, but that doesn't change my mind. You need to eat. And if something bad does happen I'll take us out of there."

"How will you pay for anything? You don't have any marks." He countered. He really doesn't want me to go.

"I'll steal some. I'm sure you know where your family stores their money." I smirk. I don't know why but I'm have a thrill from this. Usually I'm scared to do anything too dangerous. But for this child, I think I would do everything and anything. Being the past has made me feel that I have nothing to lose, I have a sense of freedom.

His eyes widened at my remark. "You're even planning to steal! How are you so reckless?"

I shake my head at him. "I think you've been trapped so long in this place that you've forgotten that there is more to life. I may be human, but that means my days are limited so I have to make each one count. What better way than to spend it with you?"

He was awestruck. Understandable because I, myself was amazed at my courage. I could hear his thoughts. This human is insane and has a death wish.

"Fine." He spit out. "But you have to listen to me. I know this place better than you."

I nod, "That's okay. I was hoping you would show me the way anyway. Start with where your family keeps their money."

He puts on a thinking face before saying. "I'm not sure where we can find some marks but we can probably use my stepmother's jewelry. It's expensive and I doubt she would realize if we stole some. The ones she doesn't use are in the attic of the house."