Chapter Twenty-seven

My slippers tapped on the hallway floor as I walked with a handful of books in my arms.

I've been watching Lucien closely ever since he's been here. And I've come to feel sorry that he has to endure what is happening around him.

Though I haven't talked to him personally, I got my information from Feyre and Azriel. Azriel wasn't a fan of him but then again he wasn't a fan of any male. And Feyre spoke of what happened between them, how he helped her out.

So I decided that Lucien wasn't that bad of a person, though I had to see that for myself.

I found the male sitting on a cushioned couch in a sun room of the House. Gently, I knocked on the open door but he already knew that I was here.

His eyes matched to me, his mechanical one scanning, confused to why I would ever approach him. He stood from his seat, greeting me with a short bow.

"There's no need for all of that. You can treat me informally, um—Lucien." I try his name.

He's tense but nods. "May I ask why you are here?" He didn't say my name, possibly unsure of what it was or scared to utter it.

I drop down to the couch that was opposite his, motioning for him to sit back down. "As you may know, Feyre is my sister. You can call me Athy." I gaze down at the books in my lap before leaning forward and placing them on the table.

"I came to give you something to do while you stay here." I push the books further on the table in his direction. "I wasn't sure what you liked so I got a few different types. If you have a specific interest, let me know." I give him a soft smile.

Lucien was still on guard, his back like a stone pillar. He glanced between the books and me. "Thank you for your consideration, —Athy." He voice relaxes a little but then proceeds to question, "May I ask why you personally came to see me? Kindness is not something I should be replayed with after what happened to you and your sisters."

Lucien felt sorrowful for what happened, that I could feel.

"At first I too felt what my sisters were experiencing, the hate for the people that aided in the incident." I connected eyes with Lucien. "But I don't blame you any longer, Lucien. You helped Feyre... And you seem to care about... Elain."

My eyes soften at the mention of her name. "Though I don't know much about you, I am sorry for how this turned out for you. Elain is having a very difficult time with all of this and I hope you can understand that she—" I pause biting my lip. "—she might never reciprocate your feelings."

I know that they are mates so it's heartbreaking to see that this poor male's life might be ruined because of my sister. Why is this world so cruel? Can't everyone just live without pain?

"And that's why I was hoping to cheer up your stay here even if it doesn't go as you wish." I muster my best smile.

Lucien's guard was crumbling at my words. He didn't know me well but he felt that I was genuine. "I appreciate what you are doing, Athy. It's nice to see you care for your sisters." He smiles grimly. Was he envious that his family wasn't the same?

"Tell me, Lucien. Do I look like my sisters?" I peer at him.

"Not particularly." He gives me a confused look.

I nod, "That's because we aren't related by blood. But even still, I think of them as my family. Being in the Night Court has taught me as well as Feyre more about family and how it is not always defined by blood."

"That's a unique bond that I've never experienced. I imagine it to be a blessing."

"It is but not always. Every family has its challenges." I say truthfully. "That's why even with the challenges, overcome them. It's all I can tell you in order to help you."