Chapter Twenty-one

Athanasia

The moment I shut the door to my room, I slid my back down it.

I buried my blushing face into my hands.

Azriel.

Az.

Why does he do this to me? Bring me out on what feels like a date and then tells me sweet things. He knew exactly how to take my mind off of things.

But all he did was make my mind wander to him instead of my new body or my sisters.

Since when has he been so confident to shake me like this. Taking me to a ceramics shop to enjoy time together.

I love it.

I loved every moment as he showed me the parts of the Rainbow I wasn't able to see before. But I hate it at the same time.

I've never had this happen to me before. To be treated with such interest as if he wants me. But I can't because he has a mate. Someone who he is destined to be with.

I rub my forehead as I look back into the place I now call my room. It felt cold and lonely. I want Feyre to come back already. I want to talk to her, spill all the feelings I've been keeping inside of me.

Why did she have to leave again? When I need her the most. It's as if someone is toying with me. Testing to see when I'll truly start complaining about my situations.

Shakily, I stand up. Maybe a good sleep might help me.

*******

I was wrong. Not even sleep can save me.

I was in that dark castle once again. Gagged, tied up and unable to move.

The face of that treacherous king haunting my mind. My sisters were all tied up, helpless once again. I couldn't scream or move. Only watch as they were tortured by the guards keeping them close.

What made me truly shocked in the sight of Azriel being bruised and broken. His wings maimed, and his chest wounded. Blood seeped from his wounds, onto the floor.

It flowed in my direction as I watched his lifeless eyes. The fear I felt only increased as the blood wrapped around me, slowly suffocating the life out of me.

"Azriel!" I shout, shooting up as I take in my surroundings. I was back in the room, tears trickling down my face. My hands and body trembling at the fear they expierenced.

I lift my legs to my chest, wrapping my arms around them as I lean my head on top.

"It was just a dream." I mutter, rocking myself to help comfort the fear. "It was just a dream."

Or maybe it was a memory. I shake the thought away.

My head shoots up as someone rushes through my door.

"Athy!" Azriel whisper-yells as he makes his way to me. He delicately sits on the bed, taking in the sight of my shivering body.

"Azriel." I say, taking in the sigh that it was actually him. "You're okay."

"I'm okay, Athy. Did you have a nightmare?" He brushes his textured hand on my cheek.

"Yes. You died." My voice cracks. His eyes soften as he pulls me towards him into an embrace.

I didn't mind it this time. I just held onto him for dear life, not wanting to let go.

"Do you want me to stay with you as you sleep?" He asks after some time has passed.

"If that is okay with you. If you still have spy work—"

"I don't. I'll stay." He lifts my chin and places a small peck on my forehead. He's so gentle with me.