Chapter Forty

There was only silence and shock on their faces.

"You know." Feyre says first.

"I do and all of you kept it from me. For how long?" I pause before continuing. "Actually don't answer that. I don't want to know that right now. I just want Azriel off the battlefield."

"Athy." Cass says softly. "We didn't mean to keep it from you." He was closer now, Nesta to his side, surprisingly showing little emotion in a moment like this.

"But you still knew." I step away from them.

"Athy." Rhys tries this time.

"No. We'll talk about this later. I need to find Azriel." I summon my wings which fit around the leather suit I wore, specifically designed for them. The wisps of brown by my sides now a bright silvery white.

"It's too dangerous out there, Athy." Rhys steps in front of me, blocking my sight of the battlefield.

"Get out of my way, Rhys," I demand.

"Don't be foolish." Amren calls out, silver eyes mixed like a storm. "Finding him now will only get you both killed."

"She's right, Athy," Feyre adds in, "He'll only be protecting the both of you."

I whip my head around to look at her. "Then what am I supposed to do?!" Another voice crack. "Stand here and do nothing. He's out there—" I stop myself, biting my lip.

"Stay in the camp for now. I'll make sure he's fine for you," Rhys says comfortingly.

I bit my lip harder before answering, "Fine."

*******

Rhys took Elain and I to the far side of the camp, ensuring our safety. But I had different plans than staying.

Nothing will stop me from reaching Azriel. I should have just told him sooner. I had too much to think about then so I didn't want to reveal myself just yet.

But now I needed to.

I paced for ten minutes after Rhysand left. I had to have the right timing to escape.

"Okay, Elain, I'm leaving." I tighten the sheath holding Truth-Teller. My other knives were stored along my boots and straps on my armour. I would be prepared this time. Use the training Azriel gave me.

"Be careful."

"I know. You too." I turn to look up at her. "If you are ever in trouble, remember that you have the knife. Strike for any vital parts. Eyes. Throat. Chest. Don't think just strike before they have the chance to."

She gives me a nod. I moved the flap of the tent and released my wings once more. I was better at flying now, maybe not for fighting but I could maintain myself in the air. As if I was born for it.

I stretched my white feathers, readying them to take flight. My wings cut through the air as they created movement to lift me off the ground. Pushing myself off, I raised myself up.

The camp got further and further as I went up. My target was the northern flank according to what Rhys told me earlier. My sharp eyes scoured the ground, hoping to avoid anyone in the air.