Chapter Twenty-eight

"Look how beautiful you look!" I exclaim placing the crown I made on her head. The vivid flowers brought light to her face.

"This one is for you." She lifts her crown which I bow my head for.

"Are you feeling better?" I stand from the planter.

"Yes, I missed this." She follows me up. Her mood was more open than before.

"Me too. How about we spend the rest of the day together?" I look in the direction of the house. "Nesta will be leaving for whatever Feyre and Rhysand have planned so it will be just the two of us."

She nods her head, "I'd like that."

My eyes, however, moved from the Town House to Azriel. "Do you want to head in first? I'll meet you once I handle something."

Elain acknowledges my gaze at Azriel, eyes cloudy. "You were crying in front of him. But he kisses you." Her words make my eyes open, turning back to her.

"What?" I heard what she said but was had a difficultly comprehending it.

Her dull eyes return. "You were upset and he kissed you." She repeats.

I turn my head back to Azriel hoping he didn't hear. We were quite a ways away but for my sanity I needed to know.

He was concentrated on his papers, organizing them in neat piles. He didn't hear.

"I doubt that, Elain."

"I saw it."

She doesn't say anymore before walking towards the back door of the Town House. I followed still repeating her words in my head.

"What are you working on?" I question, leaning to the side of the lounge chair that he is sitting on.

He brings his head to gaze at me, soaking in the floral crown and pastel pink dress I'm wearing.

"Just information about Autumn Court. We need to be prepared for anything."

I nod like I understood how important they are.

"Did you have fun?" He asks, patting a open space near him. I comply, joining him. "The crown looks lovely on you. Like a queen."

I let out a laugh. "I'm not very royal."

"But you could be treated like one." His hazel eyes gleam in the sun light.

"And be snobbish and spoiled?" I raise a brow in a challenge, my face closer to his.

"No, be elegant and pampered." He smiles as I laugh again.

"But who would ever do that for me?"

"Me." His response was serious.

I grin. "Then I'd have to treat you like a king."

"I wouldn't mind." He shrugs his shoulders with a smile, the distance between us enlarging.

"You're going to the Court of Nightmares, yes?"

"Yes, Cass will be here to protect you. Sorry that I'm leaving you." He takes my hands and rubs them.

"It's alright. I know you have to take care of business. You can protect Nesta for me." I reassure him but he didn't seem pleased.

"I should stay." He pulls away.

"No. Go. Don't stay just for me."

"I'd always stay for you." His voice was soft.

"Not this time and besides I'm spending the rest of my day with Elain so I won't be seeing much of Cass or you if you stayed." I stand for my seat. "Stay safe. Nightmares are never fun... so if you do encounter one just think of me." I say jokingly as I make my way to the door.