Chapter Thirty-six

My mood didn't really improve the next morning. I didn't plan to change my attitude.

I stayed by Nesta's side, hoping that she would scare anyone who dared to talk to me. She was a bit surprised in the way I was acting. If I was ever mad, I wasn't for long so seeing me keep it up did intrigue her. She didn't ask questions which I thanked her for.

I wouldn't know what to tell her if she did ask. What would I say? I got angry for not being able to give Azriel a plate of food. Feyre is acting weird and keeping something from me. It's better I say nothing.

"Athy..." Feyre tries as we arrived already dressed. Rhys stood next to her with Cass and Azriel not too far behind.

I turn my nose away from her, showcasing that I was still upset. I swear I also saw a bit of surprise on Azriel's still stone-cold face.

"We have a meeting to get to." I link my arm with Nesta before walking ahead of them.

"Yikes, I never knew she would still be mad." I heard Cass whisper from behind.

"What did you do?" Azriel's voice was almost hoarse.

"It's what you didn't do." Rhys says this time before the silence washes over us once more.

A few moments later, we were seated in our chairs. I didn't say anything as Azriel kept taking peeks at me. The meeting was as boring as usual, Tamlin was speaking of needing an army.

It wasn't until Nesta let out a breathy, sharp noise that I ripped my attention to her. Whatever feeling of anger I had, melted away into worry.

Feyre lunged for her as Nesta staggered back, a hand clutching at her chest. I quickly rushed to her side as well, hoping to find someway to stop whatever Nesta was feeling. "Nes."

"What's wrong?" Mor demands, holding up Nesta's confused and pained face.

"Something ..." The word is cut off by a low groan. Her body sags as I try to hold her up, but Cass takes her from me. Holding her back steady.

Nesta seizes, then twisted past Cassian to empty her stomach into the reflection pool.

"Poison?" Kallias asks, pushing Viviane behind him. She merely steps around his arm. Helion and Thesan strode forward, grim and focused.

Helion's power flickered around him like blindingly bright fireflies, darting to my sister, landing on her gently. Thesan, glowing gold and rosy, laid a hand on Nesta's arm. His healing did not work. Neither would mine if I tried.

"Nothing," they voice their result togther.

Nesta rests her head against Mor's shoulder, her breathing ragged. My hand was on Nesta's shoulder, offering as much comfort as I could.

"Something is wrong," she manages to say. "Not with me. Not me." I frown at her words, confused to what they meant.

Rhys was having some sort of silent conversation with Azriel and Cassian. But the two Illyrians nodded to Rhys, and began stalking for the open windows—to fly out.

Nesta moans, body tensing as if she'd vomit again. But then we all felt it.

A shuddering through the earth. Through air and stone and green, growing things.