Chapter Four

The morning of Azriel's lovely birthday finally came. I managed to obtain a small fruit tart in order to celebrate. If I ever do meet Azriel again, I would want to make him every dish I could think of. I don't have access to a kitchen so I can't do it now, but if by fate we do meet. I would give him all the food this world has to offer.

"Az! I came back with a treat." I light traveled back into the cell, holding the tart behind my back. I lit the room with a small sphere of light so I could see him.

He sat, as usual, on the bed waiting for me to appear. "Why were you gone during the day?" His arms were folded over his chest and his face sported a disappointed look.

"My treat was only available during the mornings at the market." I reply, plopping down next to him.

Quickly, I bring my hand forward, revealing his surprise. "Happy eleventh birthday, Az!" I beam at him with the delicious tart in my palms.

"You got a tart for me?" He stared at the treat in my hand.

"I would have got you something bigger, but they didn't have any cakes." I bow my head at my defeat from before.

"I've never had a fruit tart. Thank you, Athy!" His smile was so bright that I could melt off the face of this planet.

"Of course, anything for you, Az." I pull him into a hug, this time he didn't complain.

"I mean it, Athy." He mumbles into my shoulder. "Thank you for being here, for showing me all of this."

"You're welcome, Az. If anyone deserves all these happy memories, its you. After all, who couldn't love an adorable kid like you." I pull back to squish his cheek.

"Stop that!" He pushes my hand away from his face, but a smile soon overtakes his displeasure. Even if I am from the future, he knows that there is someone that loves him.

"How about you try this dessert now?" I motion to the glazed fruit tart.

He nods, before watching as hand the tart to him. "Take a bite." I encourage him, waiting for his bright face to appear once more.

He does as I say, engulfing a small amount of the tart. "It's delicious." He chirps after he finished chewing.

Leaning my head against the wall, I watched him. "I'm glad."

"Do you want a bite?" He moves the tart to me.

"No, I'm okay. It's your treat after all." I decline with a shake of my palm.

"It's my treat which means I can share it with you. Now take a bite, I'm not sick or anything." He barks, making me comply.

I leaned into his out stretched hand, taking a bite of the smooth dessert. It's sweet and delicious.

"It's tasty." I say as see him nod and take another bite.

Cute.

A smear of crumbs left behind on the left side of his face. I don't think I can ever get enough of him. I pull my sleeve up over my hand.

"What are you doing?" He asks as I rub my sleeve against his cheek.

"You're a messy eater sometimes." I joke, pulling back.

"I am not. It's just a messy dessert." He protests.

I let out a laugh. It seems he is always finding way to entertain me. We enjoyed our little moment, finishing the tart and relishing our time together.

However, the sudden unlocking of the door causes my movements to stop.

Fear strikes through Azriel as looks behind me. I slowly turn my head to see who he was looking at.