Chapter Twenty-five

Rhys drawls, "Amren, it seems, has been taking drama lessons at the theater down the street from her house."

She shot him a glare. "I mean it, Rhysand—"

"I'm sure you do," he says, claiming the seat to Feyre's right. "But I'd prefer to eat something before you make us lose our appetites."

Cassian took the seat on Amren's left, leaving Lucien ...

Lucien frowned at the remaining place setting at the head of the table, then at the blank, barren spot across from Nesta. Across from me there was only a blank space, no chair for him to sit. "I—shouldn't you sit at the head?"

He didn't want to face Nesta's fury. I made a move to switch spots. Though I don't know Lucien very much, I can't let him feel Nesta's wrath so soon. As I move to get up, Azriel places a hand on my thigh pausing my movements with a shake of his head. I didn't move after that.

Rhys raises an eyebrow. "I don't care where you sit. I only care about eating something right"—he snaps his fingers—"now."

Roast meats, various sauces and gravies, rice and bread, steamed vegetables fresh from the surrounding farms ... it smelled heavenly. One of the benefits of living in Velaris, I guess.

Lucien slid into his seat, to my left. He was uncomfortable and I could feel it.

"You get used to it—the informality." Feyre voices across the table.

"You say that, Feyre darling, like it's a bad thing," Rhys says by her side. The two looked good together. It's surprising how fast time passes. Not too long ago, Feyre and I were running around the forest in order to survive and now she has someone that really loves her.

I can't help but feel a little jealous of all she's accomplished.

"It took me by surprise that first dinner we all had, just so you know."

"Oh, I know." Rhys grins. Their flirting was a little too sweet for me.

Cassian sniggers from next to Az.

"Honestly," Feyre says to Lucien, "Azriel is the only polite one." A few cries of outrage from Mor and Cassian, but I could see a ghost of smile on Azriel's mouth as he dipped his head and hauled a platter of roast beets sprinkled with goat cheese toward himself. "Don't even try to pretend that it's not true."

I let loose of a small smile as well, knowing that she wasn't far off.

"Of course it's true," Mor says with a loud sigh, "but you needn't make us sound like heathens."

"I would have thought you'd find that term to be a compliment, Mor," Rhys says mildly.

I continued to pay attention to my food, listening as best as I could. Lucien was still stiff, barely touching his food.

"What time are we back in the training ring tomorrow?" I heard Feyre say.

"I'd say dawn, but since I'm feeling rather grateful that you're back in one piece, I'll let you sleep in. Let's meet at seven." Cass answers.

"I'd hardly call that sleeping in."

"For an Illyrian, it is," Mor mutters.

Cassian's wings rustle. "Daylight is a precious resource."

"We live in the Night Court," Mor counters from across.