Chapter 1

Sadie's POV

Beep beep beep!

I woke up with a yawn. I stayed up late last night writing an essay about climate change. Although it wasn't my assignment, I felt proud of the 3 page long essay that was now neatly tucked into my backpack. After laying there for a full 5 minutes, I finally forced myself out of bed. I slipped on my bunny slippers and walked toward the restroom.

15 minutes later, I came out dressed in a worn out white t-shirt that said 'I'm not short, I'm fun-sized' in blue letters and faded blue jeans. My brown hair was tied neatly into a ponytail. Taking a quick look in the mirror, I grabbed her backpack and headed downstairs.

As I walked down the stairs, I could smell breakfast. I heard my stomach rumble and started walking down faster.

In the kitchen, my mom was busy making breakfast.

Stacy Taylor had brown hair, just like me, that was tied messily into a bun. She had an apron on to protect the white blouse she wore underneath. Stacy worked as a business manager at Apple. Because the company's building was located an hour away, she would often come home when I was already asleep, but that didn't stop her from waking up early to cook her breakfast.

"Good morning hun, here, have some breakfast," her mom said cheerfully as she slid a plate of bacon and eggs.

"Morning," I said with a tired smile. I took a seat and started to eat. "Mhm! Mom this is delicious!" I exclaimed after taking a bite.

"That's great. Have some more then," Stacy said with a chuckle.

"Maybe next time Mom, I've got to go or I'll be late!" I told her as I swallowed one last bite, grabbed my backpack and ran for my sneakers. I quickly tied my shoelaces and with my backpack on my back, I ran toward the bus stop. I thought I heard my mom yell a quick 'love you' but I wasn't sure.

When I got to the bus stop, the familiar dirty yellow school bus just arrived. I could hear the laughter coming from inside the bus. The door slid open and I went up the steps and took the closest open seat I could find. I could hear the bus engine starting again and I felt the bus lurch forward. I sat there looking out the window when someone tapped my shoulder.

I turned around. Sitting beside me was Amanda Smith, the most popular and meanest girl in school.

"Are you done with the essay I told you to write?" she asked.

"Yah," I said and brought my backpack to my lap. I unzipped it and pulled out the essay. Amanda yanked it out of my hands and went back to her friends without a word. I zipped up my backpack and continued to stare out the window.

I don't know when this started, but apparently asking me to do your homework, essays, and projects was okay. I didn't have the guts to say no which is why I've been doing this ever since senior year. I told myself that in 3 more months, I would be graduating and I wouldn't have to see any of them anymore, which comforted me. A few weeks ago, I had sent in an application to Harvard and I was still waiting for a reply.

The bus lurched to a stop in front of our school, bringing me out of my thoughts. I waited until everyone else got off before getting out myself. I stepped down the steps and onto the pavement.

A flagpole stood in front of the school campus with the American flag waving proudly in the sky. I walked toward my locker, which was fortunately near my 1st period class.

At my locker, someone was leaning on the lockers, their back facing me. When the person sensed me staring and turned around, I saw that it was Carter Louis, Amanda's current boyfriend. She probably dated all the boys on campus.

"So like I need you to finish my history project. It's like due tomorrow. I haven't like started yet and I like have a party to go to..." he explained. I didn't understand what was with him and using the word 'like' in every sentence.

I nodded. He broke out into one of his killer smiles that all the girls loved and handed me the project instructions. With a short 'thanks', he walked away. I slipped the paper into my backpack and opened up my locker.

08-10-20. My locker opened with a click. I grabbed the AP Spanish textbook I needed for my 1st period class and shut the locker door. Then I hurried to my class.

***

After 1st period ended, Bailey Abbott and Cynthia Frost, Amanda's minions, were waiting outside the classroom.

"Is she that freak who does everyone's homework?" I heard Cynthia whisper to Bailey.

"Shhh!! Not so loud," Bailey hissed and looked around.

"Wait so is she the freak everyone uses?" Cynthia asked again, louder this time.

"Yeah that's her so can you shut up now??" Bailey told Cynthia, each syllable soaked with irritation.

I rolled my eyes as I walked past them. Talk about Dumb and Dumber. After taking a few steps away from them, I heard the click-clack of their heels following me. They caught up in no time, despite the fact that they're wearing 2 inch heels. They stood in my way and held out a few sheets of papers in my face.

"Freak, I need you to do this. Its due tomorrow. You just need to write an acrostic poem with my name. Give it to me tomorrow, I'll be outside your 1st period," Cynthia ordered. I took the papers she held out to me and slipped them into my backpack.

I heard Bailey slap her on the arm. "Her name's not Freak, stupid!" she hissed. Although she tried to keep her voice down, I could hear it crystal clear. The people passing by had a smirk on their face. I guess they heard too.

Cynthia's mouth made an 'O' sign.

"Anyways Sandie, do one for me too. I got the same assignment as her," Bailey added. With that they both walked away.

I shook my head in frustration. They really were Dumb and Dumber.

Throughout the day, I received 2 more homework assignments and 1 essay. During lunch, I ate my ham sandwich in the library as I worked my own homework. It didn't take too long. I managed to finish all the ones I received from my earlier classes before lunch ended.

Right when the bell rang for my 7th period class, I rushed out and hurried to my locker to drop off my things.

I've been staring at it for 5 minutes. A note was squished into one of the little slits of my locker. This had never happened before. I cautiously brought my hand toward the note and carefully pulled it out. I gently unfolded it. My eyes grew wide as I read the contents written inside.

I don't know when it started.

But I do know that I'm starting to fall for you.