Chapter 3

Adam's POV

I didn't want to gloat or anything, but I did believe that I looked pretty hot. I had my mom's hazel brown eyes and my dad's dirty blonde hair. It was too bad I didn't also get their intelligence. Although I was retaking the same classes I took last year, I was still failing them. My parents haven't seen my report cards yet. They also didn't hear about me failing senior year. If they did, I would be dead meat. Even though, they were barely home, they still cared about my grades. I was expected to follow in their footsteps and if my grades weren't good, that obviously wouldn't happen. Sometimes it seemed as if my grades were all they cared about. The rare times when they were home, the only questions they asked me were about my grades. I haven't gotten the chance to tell them that I was more interested in football. I didn't want to disappoint them. Becoming a lawyer was the only thing they wanted from me and I couldn't bare it to take it away from them.

My thoughts were disrupted when someone called my name.

"Yo Adam! Guess who just got an A?"

I turned around to see Brady Williams, my best friend, walking toward me. As he got closer, he dragged a chair from a table nearby and brought it to the table I was sitting at. He dragged the chair to an empty spot in front of me and sat down.

I noticed that that the worried expression he wore on his face for the past few days was replaced by a smile. "How did you manage to get such a good score on something you procrastinated on?" I asked, completely clueless on how he did that.

"To be honest, I figured that there was no way I could've done that in one day and get a good grade on it so I told that nerd to do it for me," he admitted.

For quite awhile, I've been hearing about this girl, a nerd, that would do your homework and stuff like that for you.

"You should totally tell her to do your assignments!" he suggested. "Then you won't be failing so badly like you are now," he added.

"Alright I'll think about it," I told him. Brady nodded and we started to talk about the recent gossip going around campus.

After football practice, I walked over to the parking lot to get my car. My parents had given me a black Lexus as my 16th birthday present. I started the engine and started to drive home with Big Bang's newest song, Bae Bae, playing in the background.

In 10 minutes, I arrived at my two-story house. It had a pale blue exterior with large windows here and there. I got out of my car and locked it with a beep. I walked toward the front door and kneeled down at the 'welcome' mat. Checking to make sure that no one was looking, I slid my hand underneath it and felt for a cold metal key.

After I unlocked the door, I carefully placed the key back underneath the mat. Before I went inside, I checked the mail slot that was located right beside the door.

I looked through the stack of letters I pulled out from the slot. There were some bills- water bill, gas bill, internet bill.. all that stuff. I was about to stick them back in the slot when my eyes show a letter addressed to me. I pulled the letter out and looked at who sent it. It was from UCLA. I rubbed my eyes. Was I dreaming? That was my dream college. They had a football team there that I was dying to join.

When I opened my eyes, it was still the same. I quickly ripped open the letter and pulled out the neatly folded paper inside.

Mr. Adam West,

We are pleased to inform you that we would like to have you at our university. Your football skills are spectacular. If you are interested, please give us a call at (310) 825-4321. We'd be happy to hear from you.

The Administration Office of UCLA

I couldn't believe what I was reading. Me? At UCLA? I pulled out my iPhone and quickly dialed the number.

"The Administration Office, how may I help you?" a female voice asked.

"Hi, I'm Adam West. I received a letter from you guys about having me at your school next year?"

"Mr. West, it's nice to hear from you. We'd love to have you, but from what the transcript says, your grades haven't been too well," the lady on the phone said.

My heart dropped. Oh shoot. My grades. I totally forgot about them. "Are you not going to accept me then?" I asked.

"If you can raise your grades up to at least a C, we'll be happy to take you," she assured.

I let out a sigh of relief. "I'll do that," I promised.

"We hope so. It'd be so unfortunate if we couldn't have you on our football team. When we see an improvement in your grades, you'll get a call from us," she said.

"Alright. Thank you so much," I replied. Then I heard her hang up.

Now how was I supposed to raise my grades up? Suddenly I remembered what Brady said at school about that nerd who did you homework. I unlocked my phone and looked for his number. He picked up on the second ring.

"Yello, it's Brady," he chirped.

"Brady! I need your help, where can I find that nerd you told me about earlier today??" I frantically asked.

"Chill man. I'll tell you. Near the AP Spanish classroom, she'll be at her locker before first period," he said. "Why do you want to know all of a sudden? You didn't seem interested earlier," he added.

"Thanks man. It's cause I need to raise my grades or UCLA won't accept me," I confessed.

"Oh my God. UCLA wants you at their school?? That's great news!" he exclaimed. I could feel the excitement in his words.

"I know right which is why I can't lose this chance. I'll call you back later," I said and ended the call.

Realizing that I've been standing outside the entire time, I quickly went in and took a quick shower. I was soaked in sweat from the football practice I just came back from.

When I was done, I went into my room and threw myself onto my king sized bed. I laid there thinking about how I was going to ask her to do my assignments. I knew it was going to be difficult task. The other kids only asked her to do one assignment but I was planning to ask her to do all the assignments from all my classes. Should I pay her? I shook my head. She didn't sound like the type to do things for money or she would've asked for it in the first place. I decided to call Brady for some ideas. Just when I unlocked my phone, my phone started ringing. A picture of Brady appeared.

"Brady! I was just about to call you. I need your help again," I said right when I picked up.

"Sure whatever you need bro," he replied. "Wait. What do you need help with? If it's something like killing someone, sorry man, not gonna do that," he added in a rush.

I chuckled. That sounded exactly like something Brady would say. "That's not what I need help with so don't worry. I need some ideas on how to ask the nerd girl to do my homework stuff."

"Hm, that's tough man," he admitted.

We spent hours exchanging ideas. Finally, around midnight, we came up with the best plan.