Chapter 24

A/N: Thank you Willowtri for creating this amazing cover! :)

It didn't take long for me to arrive on the 8th floor. The moment the elevator doors slid open, I rushed out and ran for my office. I shut the door behind me and my back slowly slid against it. Questions I couldn't figure out the answers to, filled my head. Why was I feeling like this? He wasn't anyone special, I thought. We weren't exactly friends. I don't even know what you should call us. Acquaintances? So why did I feel like my heart was breaking?

I sat there trying to figure out what was going on with my head. And heart. But 30 minutes later, I still didn't know why I was feeling this way. In the end, decided to busy myself with paperwork to distract me from those thoughts.

Many hours later, I stood up from my chair and stretched my arms. I finally finished all the paperwork and now I was beyond starving. I glanced up at the clock on the wall and couldn't believe that it was already 8:45. At night. No wonder I was so hungry. I quickly grabbed my bag and keys and left the office.

Downstairs, at the ground floor, I was relieved to see that the front desk was empty. I walked out of the building and headed over to my car. To my disgust, I saw that there were two splats of white and black bird poop on the hood of my car. Damn those stupid birds. Could've at least pooped elsewhere. NOT on my precious car. I unlocked my car and started the engine.

I drove home and parked my car on the driveway. I opened the front door and was greeted by my mom's warm smile.

"Just in time for dinner," she said.

A delicious aroma greeted my nose and I could hear my stomach rumble. I quickly slipped off my shoes and hurried into the dining room.

On the middle of the dinner was roasted chicken. There was also potato salad and broccoli. I could feel my mouth water at the sight. I went to the bathroom downstairs to wash my hands and when I came out, imagine my surprise when I saw Amanda and Adam sitting at the table chatting happily with my mom.

"Sadie, why aren't you coming out here?" my mom asked me when she saw me just standing there. "Your friends came over."

"I was in the bathroom," I told her as I walked over to the dinner table. There was only one seat left that had the table setting (the plates and utensils), which happened to be right across from Adam. Left with no other choice but to sit there, I pulled the chair out and sat down. I picked up the fork and was about to get a (big) piece of chicken when my mom suddenly slapped my hand down.

"Sadie!! Where are your manners! You're suppose to let the guests go first. I thought I taught you to be better than this." She glared at me before gesturing to Adam and Amanda to go ahead.

I watched hungrily as they filled their plate. Adam on purposely got his portion slower to rub it in my face. Why did I think that? He had a piece of chicken on his fork and instead of placing it on the plate right away, do you know what he did?? He held up in front of me and waved it around several times. Forcing me to smell the heavenly aroma coming from it.

And when they were finally done, I immediately lunged for my utensils and filled my own plate. The chicken was seasoned perfectly and tasted a-mazing! Just like everything else. Either it was really good or... I was just super hungry. You know how when you're hungry, everything tastes good?

Afterwards, when we were all done, I suggested that I wash the dishes to make up for my rudeness earlier. My mom happily agreed and pushed me into the kitchen with the sink piled up high with dirty plates. Honestly, I just wanted to get away from Amanda and Adam. If washing dishes was the way, I would do it without a second thought.

From the kitchen, I could hear my mom chattering happily (and loudly) with Amanda in the dining room and couldn't help but grin at her enthusiasm.

I was scrubbing a plate when I suddenly felt a pair of warm hands hug me from behind. I instantly knew who it was, but I still turned my head sideways to look at the person behind me. Just when my head turned, I felt his lips brush by my cheek. His touch tingled on my skin and my cheek flushed with embarrassment.

Surprised by the sudden touch, the plate that I was holding in my hand, slipped from my grasp. I watched in horror as the plate fell onto the kitchen floor and shattered into pieces of different shapes and sizes. I gasped and bent down to pick it up.

As a result of my hastiness, I ended up cutting myself with one of the pieces as I was picking it up. I winced and quickly covered the cut with my other hand. I hoped that Adam didn't see and reached out to pick another piece when Adam grabbed onto my hand and pulled me up.

"Did you cut yourself?" he asked.

"No," I lied. I hid the hand that had the cut behind my back and stared at the black stain on the white kitchen tile.

"Don't lie to me Sadie," he said. "I saw you." He pulled the hand I was hiding forward and inspected the cut as if he was a doctor. "Thankfully its just a little cut," he said and brought me over to the sink. He carefully rinsed my cut and asked for the first aid kit.

I pointed to the cabinet in the corner of the kitchen. He hurried over and opened it.

A few seconds later, he pulled out a red box with a white cross on it. Adam placed the box on the counter and took out a bandage and a tube of ointment before rushing back over to me. He gently held my hurt finger and rubbed a little bit of ointment on it. Then he wrapped it nicely in a bandage. I assumed that he was done and was about to pull my finger away when he brought his lips to my finger!

"A kiss for your boo boo," he explained and pressed his lips down. The same tingling feeling I felt earlier was now on the finger he just kissed. My cheeks who had just cooled down, heated up once again.

I turned toward the sink and picked up a plate to wash when Adam stopped me.

"I'll do it," he said. "Just sit there. We don't want your cut to get infected, do we?" he cooed.

I didn't say anything and walked over to the counter where the first aid kit was. I put everything away and was about to leave the kitchen when Adam said 3 numbers that would soon break down the wall that I had created to protect my heart.

"1-4-3."

A/N: You must all be wondering: What does 1-4-3 mean?? Well to find out, you have to watch the video I connected to this chapter. Not the WHOLE thing so don't worry. Just the beginning. And if you still don't get it, the lyrics will (maybe?) give you a clue. And if even after that you still don't get it, message or comment! I'll be happy to explain!

A/N: Sorry the chapter is so short! I wanted to stop at a cliffhanger :3 Anyways here are the answers to the jokes last time.

A: Nothing

A: "Spread out men!"

A: He felt crummy (ballerinawriter123 you got it right! :D How did you know?)

A: Cause then it would be a foot! Haha get it??? :P

A: Water. This was suppose to trick you guys into saying milk lol

A: The box said 2-4 years! ^~^

A: It said "concentrate" (ballerinawriter123 you got this one right too! Too good *claps*)

The one I made up: A: Samsung! :D

And.. here's my question for this chapter: What's your favorite food? And do you like dogs or cats?