Chapter 42

Adam's POV

A few days before the engagement party, my parents announced that Emma and I were going to move in together. They said that it was to "strengthen" the bond between us. I didn't say anything since I didn't care for this wedding. It was just a business agreement to me. To my parents.

It was around 6 in the morning. I was enjoying a mug of warm coffee when I heard the sound of the front door opening. It must be Emma I told myself. She was very forgetful and would often forget paperwork and have to come back to fetch it.

"Did you forget something again?" I called out from the kitchen.

"Not today Adam!" she laughed. "Come out here for a sec."

"Sure, what's up?" I asked as I walked out. Imagine my surprise when I saw that it wasn't just Emma there. Standing beside her was the redhead I saw at her office building. The one who seemed strangely familiar even though I was so sure I never met her before. "Who's this?" I asked curiously as I looked at the guest Emma brought. The redhead was avoiding eye contact and staring at the carpet. She was dressed in gray long sleeve and light blue pajama pants.

"She's Angela Young, the front desk secretary at my office," she introduced with a smile. "She got kicked out of her apartment so she'll be staying here with us for the time being."

"Oh okay that's fine. We have plenty of extra rooms," I nodded in agreement. "Where are her bags though?" I asked in bewilderment. She must have some luggage.

Emma didn't answer, she looked over to Angela and waited for her to respond. I guess Emma didn't notice this detail.

"Uhh..." Angela's eyes wandered around the room as she tried to think of an explanation. Her cheeks began to flush red as she came up with nothing.

"No biggie, we can get you new clothes. I thought about getting you a new wardrobe anyways," Emma said cheerfully.

"T-that's okay Ms. Queen, I can buy some my-" she denied as her hand reached for her pocket. Getting her wallet perhaps? But her hand came out of her pocket empty handed. "Oh I didn't bring my wallet either." I could tell that she was flustered.

"It's all right Ms. Angela," I assured. "As you can tell from this house, we are rich. I'm sure we can afford some clothes for you."

Angela didn't say anything. She was silent. Her eyes were on the ground again.

"Okay! Then it's settled! We'll get you new clothes!" Emma announced happily. "Oh shoot I totally forgot, I have to go the office," she apologized as she noticed the time. She frowned before her eyes lit up as she thought of an idea. "Adam, why don't you bring her shopping? She needs dressed for work in an hour," she suggested.

"Alright," I agreed.

"Great, problem solved. Now I got to go." With that, Emma rushed out the front door leaving the two of us in a silent house.

"Uhm so let me change real quick," I said awkwardly. I hurried over to my bedroom and slipped into blue dress shirt with a blue sweater on top and a pair of jeans. I haven't dressed casually for a while I realized as I checked my reflection in the mirror.

"Ready!" I exclaimed as I went back out to Angela. "Let's go." I grabbed my car keys and headed toward the front door.

-------------------------

I drove us to Nordstrom. I didn't really go shopping with Emma or any other women so I didn't know where else to go. When I asked if Nordstrom was okay, Angela just nodded. I could tell she wasn't the talkative type.

We went inside and walked toward the women's section. There were racks and racks of clothes. Angela began looking around as I followed behind her. I noticed that she was only looking at the clothes that were on sale.

"You know you can pick whatever you want," I told her.

She responded with a nod but she continued to look only at the items on sale. "Then why are you only looking at the clothes on sale?" I asked as I took a couple steps toward her. She was so preoccupied with looking the clothes she didn't notice our proximity.

When she turned toward me to hold up a shirt to ask if it was okay, she was surprised. Really surprised. She did not expect me to be right next to her. So surprised that she lost her balance and began to fall forward.

"Ahhhh!" she screamed. Her hands moved around frantically in the air to grab onto something to stop her from falling. And that "something" happened to be my sweater.

I felt myself fall backward and before I knew it, Angela was on top of me. Her brown eyes were wide from shock as she stared at me, frozen.

Those eyes.. brown.. just like Sadie's. "S-sadie?" I whispered softly.

"S-sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm sorry!" Angela scrambled to get up and ran away before I could say anything else.

A/N: How's this chapter? Please comment your thoughts! :)