Chapter 13

A/N: Are you guys enjoying the story so far?? I really hope so! :) Votes & comments are always welcome.

Mrs. Taylor was a far better cook than a baker to be honest. For dinner, she cooked spaghetti with garlic bread and mashed potatoes. And it tasted delicious. After we finished dinner, Sadie and I cleared the table and I volunteered to wash the dishes.

While I was doing the dishes, Sadie and her mom started to talk at the dinner table. I could hear everything they were saying since the kitchen wasn't too far from the dining room. As I scrubbed a plate, I eavesdropped on their conversation.

"Sweetie, why didn't you tell me that you had a boyfriend?" she asked.

I waited for Sadie to respond.

"Mom, he's not my boyfriend. It's a misunderstanding," she explained.

"Then what were you two doing on top of each other in your room?" Mrs. Taylor teased.

"I accidentally fell on top of him," Sadie muttered.

"Sure you did," Mrs. Taylor said. I could tell that she didn't believe a word Sadie was saying.

It wasn't long before I was finished washing and drying the dishes. I placed them carefully into the cabinet and took a seat next to Sadie at the dining table.

"Thanks for the dinner, Mrs. Taylor. Dinner was delicious," I said thankfully to Mrs. Taylor.

"No problem Adam. Come by anytime and stay for dinner again." She said with a grin.

"I will," I promised. I looked at my watch. It was already 8:30? "I should get going. It's getting late," I said apologetically.

"Alright, I'll be seeing you again, right?" she asked.

"Of course," I assured.

She walked me to the door with Sadie following behind her. She opened the door and I said another thank you before I walked out onto the patio.

"Drive safely!" I heard Mrs. Taylor call out to me as I walked toward my car. When I got to my car, I turned around to wave and then I started the engine and drove home.

***

When I got home, I took a shower and changed into a white t-shirt and a pair of pajama pants. Then, I turned on my Dell laptop and checked my Facebook. I smiled when I saw that there was a new message from Brady. He was usually too busy to message me since he was a pilot. Which was why seeing a message from him was a nice surprise. It's been a while since I last heard from him.

Brady: Hey man, good news. I'm having a flight to Cali tomorrow. We should hang out. :]

Me: That's awesome. Text me when you're here

After replying to his message, I went on Yahoo to check my email.

I had one new email. I didn't recognize the email address. I clicked on it to see what it said. My eyes widen in horror as I read it.

Babe,
Did you know how hard it was to find your email? I had to ask so many people! Anyways I wanted to tell you that I'm back in Cali!! Isn't that just great news?? I heard that you're working at Apple now which is why I applied for the front desk position there! So we can see each other every single day! I'll see you soon!

XOXO,
Amanda

***

A couple days later, I was walking toward the elevators when I heard someone call my name.

"ADAM BABEEE!!!" a high pitched voice squealed.

I turned around and my body stiffened when I saw who it was.

Standing in front of me was Amanda Smith. The person I had wished I would never see again in my life. She looked almost exactly the same as her high school self. Her strawberry blonde hair was curled and braided into a waterfall braid. She was dressed in a tan colored blouse and a red mini skirt that was a bit too "mini" if you know what I mean. A pair of red stilettos finished the outfit.

She was smiling brightly at me. "I got the job!! Now we can see each other every single day!!!" she revealed happily. My mouth opened slightly in shock. Even though I knew she applied here to work here, I never expected her to get the job. I planted a fake smile on my face and smiled back at her. She was about to say something else, but her eyes stared at something behind me and her smile disappeared.

I turned around and saw that Sadie just arrived at work.

"What is she doing here?!?" she exclaimed furiously. When I didn't answer her, she asked, "Sandie, what are you doing here?"

Sadie didn't see us at first, but when she heard Amanda's question and voice, her eyes widen in surprise.

"Aren't you going to answer me??" Amanda asked impatiently. Her heels tapped on the floor in annoyance.

"I work here," Sadie said showing no signs of nervousness which surprised me. The Sadie from high school would've stuttered and stared at the floor.

"What!!" Amanda's face started to turn red from anger. "That's impossible!" She shook her head in disbelief.

"It's Sadie, not Sandie by the way," she corrected before heading toward the elevators.

I waited a while until I told Amanda that I have to go work.

"You have to go already??" she whined. I nodded and made it look like I was just as disappointed and sad as she was. "Fine but we have to eat lunch together babe," she said in a voice that meant she wouldn't take a 'no' as an answer. I agreed and quickly got away from her.

***

When lunch time rolled around, I groaned at the thought of having lunch with Amanda. I knew that if I didn't go down, she would just come up. There was no way getting around this lunch. I walked out of my office and to the elevators.

At the elevators, Sadie was already there waiting. The elevator arrived a few seconds later and we walked in. Since it was just the two of us, I decided to start some small talk with Sadie.

"So.. you did good correcting Amanda this morning," I complimented.

"I wasn't going to let her mess up my name for the rest of my life," she said.

Before I could think of something else to say, the elevator arrived on ground floor. Sadie walked out and I followed behind her. When we were almost at the front desk, I could see Amanda sitting at her desk. She must've heard our footsteps because she turned in our direction and smiled when she saw me. But then her eyes wandered over to the person next to me: Sadie. She walked over and when she reached us, she suddenly lifted her hand back and whipped it across Sadie's cheek.

The sound of deafening. It felt as if the entire ground floor went silent.

"Stay away from him!" she screamed.

Sadie stared at Amanda with her eyes wide as her hand slowly made it over to the cheek that now had a bright red handprint on it.

Amanda was about to slap her again, but I grabbed onto her wrist before she could do it.

"That's enough Amanda. What the hell do you think you're doing?!" I asked angrily. I looked over to Sadie and my heart thumped in pain when I saw that her eyes had welled up in tears.

"E-excuse me," she mumbled and ran away in the direction of the ladies' restroom. I was about to run after her, but Amanda stopped me.

"You weren't planning of going after her, were you?" she accused. I shook my head, but my eyes looked over in the direction she ran to. "Good. I'm starving, let's get some lunch," she said cheerfully as if she didn't just slap someone.