Chapter 8

Adam's POV

*flash back*

BEEEEPPPPP!

I watched helplessly from across the street as the truck slammed against Sadie's body. Her body laid limply on the pavement.

"SADIE!!!!!" I screamed. I ran over to her and carefully held her in my arms. It scared me that her body felt so lifeless as I held her next to me. "HELP! SOMEONE CALL 911!!" I cried desperately.

A crowd slowly formed around us. Murmurs filled the air.

"Poor thing, should've been more careful..."

"Hope she'll be okay.."

"So young..."

Please don't die. I won't ever be able to forgive myself if you do. Please. Don't die.

***

A few days after Sadie's accident, UCLA contacted me. Instead of accepting their admittance offer, I told them that I wasn't interested in going there anymore. Not after what I did to Sadie. It was my fault she got hurt. My fault. She could've died because of me. I played around with her feelings. I never should've gone that far.

A while after graduation, my parents (who didn't care enough to come to my graduation) finally came home. They came to realize that I didn't have the brains to become a lawyer so they decided to make me study business instead. I know they must've pulled some strings with the administration office of some college in New York. Why else would I have made it in?

After 7 years of (really, really, really x1000) hard work, I graduated with a business major. I thought it would've been easy to get a job with a business major, but apparently not. I went to countless job interviews and failed all of them. I was about to give up when I got a job offer from Apple Inc. I accepted the offer right away without a second thought. I quickly packed up my things and took the first flight home.

It took the entire day to clean up the house and unpack. Since my parents rarely came home, no one cleaned. And I mean no one. It was a mess. When the house was finally all cleaned up, I went shopping for some suits and dress shoes. And groceries for the empty fridge.

On my first day of work, I woke up early-ish. I did set an alarm, but I turned it off when it rang and fell asleep again. By the time I woke up again, it was 40 minutes after the time I wanted to wake up.

I rushed out of bed and into the shower. I changed into one of the new suits I bought. I chose a black suit. With a matching black tie. I chugged down some black coffee (which was super bitter by the way), grabbed my keys, and headed to the door.

***

I parked my black Mercedes-Benz and walked inside the building. I could feel people staring at me as I walked toward the front desk.

At the front desk, I was told to go to the 8th floor. I walked over to the elevators and pressed the up button. In a few moments, the elevator arrived and I pressed for the 8th floor.

As the doors slid open, I could see that there were 2 people standing there. Waiting for me, perhaps? When the doors fully opened, I couldn't believe it. Dressed in a white blouse and pencil skirt, was Sadie Taylor. I tried to hide my shock, but it didn't work. I waited for her to recognize me. To run away maybe? But she didn't.

"You must be Adam West. The new Business Manager. I'm.."

"Sadie Taylor." I finished for her.

"How do you know that?" she questioned.

"Do you seriously not remember me?" I asked.

"Am I supposed to? I don't even know you," she replied curtly. "Anyways, this is Carla and she's your secretary. She'll show you to your office."

That's when I noticed there was someone else present. A woman about the same height as Sadie with shoulder-length brown hair. She had a lovestruck expression on her face.

"R-right. I'm your secretary. Let me bring you to your office." She blushed and started to walk away. I quickly followed behind her.

"Sooo.. this Sadie Taylor. Who's she?" I asked Carla.

"She's the Assistant Business Manager here. Sadie worked here for 3 years. Graduated from Harvard with a Master's. Oh and my best friend," she revealed.

"Ahhh.. I see."

"Here's your office." She opened the door and walked me in. I took a seat at the swivel chair and looked out the window. So this is what it's like to have an office. I turned back around and told Carla. "You can go out now. Thanks." I flashed her one of my killer smiles.

She blushed and walked out, closing the door behind her.

I played around on the Mac for a while. I added a password, changed the desktop wallpaper, you know those kind of stuff. When I was done, I grabbed the office phone on my desk and dialed the extension for Sadie.

"Hello, Sadie Taylor speaking."

"Come in my office for a sec." I ordered and hung up.

Not long after talking to her, I heard a knock on the door. "Come in."

Sadie walked in. "You're looking for me?"

"Yeah, why do you think I called you in here?"

"So what do you need?"

"Get me a chocolate chip frappuccino from Starbucks please." I waited for her to walk away, but she stood there staring at me as if I had something else to add. "Aren't you going to go?"

"What size do you want that to be?" She rolled her eyes.

"Did you just roll your eyes at me?" Amazed at her audacity.

"Don't change the subject. What. Size. Do. You. Want?" she asked again. Spacing out each word.

"A grande sized please and thank you. Now shoo." I turned around and stared out the window. I heard her walk away and the door close shortly afterwards.