Epilogue

A/N: Sorry for making all of you wait so long for an epilogue. Enjoy! :)

Sadie's POV

Three years later...

"Mom, you shouldn't spoil them like that," I say from the kitchen after seeing her give my daughters each an extra scoop of ice cream. 

"They're kids, a little more ice cream wouldn't hurt," she smiles with a twinkle in her eyes. "I did the same to you when you were young and look how you turned out. I know I don't say it enough, but I'm really proud of you, honey, and I love you." 

I could see that her eyes were moist with emotion and left the dishes I still had to wash to go give her a hug. "I love you too, Mom," I say softly by her ear. 

Her surgery three years ago had been a success and I had tearfully thanked Doctor Kim when he came out of the surgery room. 

"I didn't save your mother, Ms. Taylor. You did." He gave me a small smile and told me which room my mom would be in before walking away. 

I had stood there for a few minutes with his last words replaying in my head. I didn't save your mother. You did.

"Sadie?" 

I break out of my daze and see Adam looking at me with concern. "You alright?"

"Yeah, I was just thinking," I say reassuringly. "You're home early today."

He nods, but I could tell that he was still worried. "I finished work early and wanted to spend more time with my wife and my girls." He leaned forward and gave me a quick peck on the lips. "You sure you're okay?" He asks again.

"Yes, I'm perfectly fine," I assure. "You're being worried over nothing."

Before he could interject, Ava ran over and wrapped her arms around Adam's legs. "Daddy!!" she screamed excitedly. "You're home!!"

Ava's screams immediately alerted her twin sister, Sophia who was playing with her grandma out in the yard. "Daddy!!!!" Sophia yelled as she ran over. 

"My little girls, how was your day?" Adam asked as he started to tickle them. "Did you miss Daddy? Did you miss me, Ava? Did you miss me, Sophia?" 

They burst into laughter and screamed "yes" in unison as they tried to run away from Adam who continued to tickle them. 

I watched them run around laughing and screaming with joy as their father, my husband, chased them around the living room. My mom and I met eyes and we both smiled blissfully at the scene playing out in front of us. And as I continued to watch, I thought back to Doctor Kim's words: I didn't save your mother. You did.

I didn't just save my mom back then, I had saved myself from a future where I would continue to run away from my fears and the people I cared about. 

The runaway nerd I was before, had stopped running and didn't exist anymore.