Chapter 46

Adam's POV

I rolled around restlessly, unable to fall asleep for over an hour. I kept thinking about Sadie. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't stop. She was all I could think about. I miss you so much Sadie. Why did you have to go already? I had already thought of our future together... we would get married, have kids, and grow old together. Why? Why did you have to leave me? My heart thumped in pain as I thought about the brief moments we were together. Oh those happy times...

The sound of my phone ringing snapped me out of my thoughts. I reached over to the nightstand and quickly answered it.

"Hello?" I asked into the receiver. I wonder who it could be. Who would call me at this hour?

"This is the police. You are acquainted with a Mrs. Stacy Taylor, correct?"

Stacy Taylor? Why did that name sound so familiar?

"Hello? Are you still there?" the voice asked when I did not respond.

Oh shit. Wasn't Sadie's mom named Stacy? "I'm still here. What happened to her?" I asked worriedly. I had lost contact with her mom ever since Sadie's accident.

"The doctors are doing their best with her in the operation room. They found her on the streets. Witnesses report that it was a hit and run. We are still investigating," the voice revealed. "We need you to come over to sign the hospital paperwork."

"W-what did you say?" I couldn't believe this. "I'll be right there, which hospital?" The officer told me the address as I got out of bed. I grabbed my coat and hurried out of the room.

*****************************************

"Where are you going?" a voice asked groggily.

I turned around and saw a very confused looking Angela staring at me. Her hair was a mess and she was dressed in pajamas.

"I have to go to the hospital. My friend's mom got hurt," I explained hastily. "I'll be back soon, go back to sleep."

"Is she really hurt?" she asked in concern.

Why was she asking so many freakin' questions? Can't she see that I'm in a rush here? I sighed in frustration. "Why do you want to know? It's not your problem."

"Which friend?" she asked, changing the question this time.

"Why are you so stubborn?"

"Why don't you just tell me? I'm not going to leave until you do," she replied firmly. She crossed her arms and stared at me.

"S-sadie's mom, happy?" I ran out the front door before she could ask anything else.

*****************************

At the hospital, I asked a nurse for Mrs. Taylor's whereabouts and found out that she was still in surgery. I took the elevator to where her operation room was and sat outside, waiting for her to come out. I prayed for a successful surgery and that she wasn't injured badly. As I waited, my eyelids began to fall and soon, I fell asleep.

I woke up to the sound of wheels rolling across tiles. Mrs. Taylor!! My eyes fluttered open and I watched as the nurse rolled the gurney past me. A middle ages man dressed in a white coat came out after.

"How is she?" I asked him.

"The surgery was successful..." he began to say.

Before I could smile in relief, he opened his mouth and continued to speak. His voice was grim.

"Her liver is failing, she needs a transplant. Does she have any relatives who can donate?"

This is just getting worse and worse. Sadie isn't here anymore. Who else could help? "What will happen if she doesn't get her transplant?" I asked.

"If she doesn't get her liver transplant... her life will be in danger. I'll add her to the list of patients that need donations, but chances of her getting it will be slim this way."

I sighed. "I'll try to contact her relatives. Thank you Doctor."

After the doctor left, I looked for the room that Mrs. Taylor was staying in. I pushed opened the door and was disheartened to see her laying lifelessly on the bed. There were bandages wrapped on her head. Her leg was in a cast. The only sound in the room was the beeping sound of the monitor.

I left the room to go fill in the hospital paperwork and on my way back, I saw a woman exit Mrs. Taylor's room. I wasn't close enough to see who it was, but it seemed awfully like Angela. What was she doing here? Did she know Mrs. Taylor?