Chapter 44

A/N: Happy 18th birthday to bookwormpie1997 I hope you have a great birthday and that you enjoy this chapter! :)

It took me 3 hours to cook dinner. The struggle was real. Hopefully my cooking skills improved over the years. The last time I cooked was in high school. And that went horribly wrong. I was just going to fry an egg to eat, but not only did I not get to eat an egg, I also almost kinda burned down the house? A smile spread across my face at the memory.

*flash back*

It was just a regular day after school. Adam had self-invited himself over to my house and wouldn't leave. I've been trying to persuade him to leave for the last 10 minutes, but he was stubborn and wouldn't budge.

"Oh come onnn, can't you leave now?? My mom is gonna be home soonnn..." I pleaded desperately. If my mom sees him here, I'll be doomed. No she won't be angry... she'll be happy. Ecstatic. Overjoyed. That's the type of mom she is. Sometimes I wish she would be more like those moms who would be pissed when they see a boy over at their daughter's house.

"Your agony is my happiness," Adam shook his head and smirked. "You know what, I think I'll stay here until your mom comes. I don't want to be rude and leave without meeting her and saying hi," he added.

I groaned. What am I going to do??? It was awkward with the two of us just standing at the front door so I made an excuse to leave the room.

"Uh, I'm gonna go and cook myself an egg," I announced and went to the kitchen.

"Make me one too!" he called out as I walked away.

"Not unless you leave!!" I replied in response.

He laughed. "Never!"

In the kitchen, I took out a frying pan from the cabinet and an egg from the fridge. I turned on the stove and waited for the pan to heat up. As I waited, I heard someone walk into the kitchen.

"Do you even know how to cook an egg?" he teased.

"I do!" I said defensively. I do... just heat up the pan ... add some oil.. crack the egg... fry it and then voila!

"We'll see about that Sandie," he chuckled.

The pan was heated up so I added a few drops of olive oil. A couple seconds later, I cracked the egg over it. When it looked ready, I took the spatula and began to flip it. But the egg just wouldn't listen! It kept slipping. And slipping. It just wouldn't flip.

"Let me help you," Adam offered, appearing out of nowhere beside me. He held onto the hand that had the spatula and guided me as we flipped the egg. He had no trouble doing it and in less than 2 seconds, it was flipped.

"Uh thanks." I shook my hand a few times until he got the hint to let go of my hand. I thought he would walk away, but he stood there. And looked at me. Straight into my eyes.

I looked away. "Can you uhm.. move away?" I asked quickly.

He didn't respond. I looked back only to see his eyes staring back at me. Which only made me look away again.

"Sadie-" he began to say before getting interrupted by the sound of the smoke alarm ringing.

Oh shoot, the egg! We both turned and saw the now burnt egg. It was unrecognizable. And even worse, the pan was burnt too. And smoke was coming from it.

The smoke alarm was still ringing. "We have to turn it off, or the police will be coming," I told Adam worriedly. This was something my mom wouldn't be happy about.

-----------------------------------------------

The sound of the front door opening snapped me back from my memory.

"We're home!" Emma called out. "Angela, are you back yet?"

"Yeah, in the dining room!"

Adam and Emma came walking in a couple seconds later.

"I made dinner, come and eat," I said with a smile.

Their eyes wandered over to the dishes set on the table. There was a slightly burnt chicken, somewhat mashed potatoes, and salad.

"Oh Angela, you shouldn't have. We have a chef that can cook over a thousand types of dishes. Varieties of cuisines from Korean to Indian," Emma grinned. "But let's try your cooking skills."

They both sat down before picking up a spoonful of the mashed potatoes. I watched intently as Emma stuck the mashed potatoes into her mouth. I waited for her reaction.

She was quiet for a few seconds before forcing a smile. "It's.. g-great," she coughed. She reached for the glass of water in front of her and gulped the water down.

Adam went and tried the chicken. He cut a piece and stuck it into his mouth. He had a similar response. He was silent for a while before speaking again. "Ms. Angela, it's terr-" he started to say before wincing. He glared at Emma before speaking again. "It's delicious," he complimented. "Just watch the fire next time."

"It's a bit burnt," Emma added.

I nodded at their criticism.

"Burnt is slight understatement don't you think?" I heard Adam murmur under his breath.

I ignored him and we began to eat dinner.

"I almost forgot to tell you. I have a business trip coming up in a few days. Just for 3 days," Emma said.

"Have a safe trip, Ms. Queen," I smiled.

I silently prayed that in those 3 days nothing would happen. I mean, it would be just Adam and me in this gigantic house. ALONE.