Chapter 19

The footsteps got louder and louder as he got closer. It stopped a few moments later, right behind me. I knew that I should've just kept my back to him, but you know curiosity killed the cat.

His eyes widened in surprise when he saw me. "Sadie!"

"Sam!"

"What are you doing here?" he asked eventually.

"Uh, I work here."

Amanda chose to walk over at this moment. "Well isn't this just great?! We were just talking about you. Talk about good timing" She said with a smirk. "I see that you guys already know each other. But I guess you two weren't close enough for Sam to tell you his little secret. We're actually related. Not by blood, but nonetheless related. That's not all. He's the one who hit you with a car." She looked over to Sam and smiled haughtily.

His face paled when the words, he had probably hoped would never be revealed, came out of Amanda's mouth. Guilt flickered in his eyes before his eyes frantically looked over to me.

"Sadie, I can explain! I was young and stupid. I was naive. She said this would strengthen our bond. I thought it would make our relationship better."

I had expected him to say a better excuse. Maybe he was being threatened. Or he was forced to do it. But to make our relationship better was not one of the things I expected to hear as an excuse.

The pain in my heart was unexplainable with words. The feelings I didn't I had for Sam broke into a million pieces. I had hoped I could finally be in love. That there was a chance we could be together. But there was no us. He was just being nice to me because ... because of guilt! My eyes blurred with tears. I desperately tried to blink them back, but a stray tear rolled down my cheek. I couldn't let him see me like this. I didn't want him to know that this revelation would affect me like this. I wiped the tear away and ran away from him.

"Sadie!" I heard him call after me. I could hear his footsteps chase after me.

I raced out of the building and across the same street where I first met Sam. I stopped running when I successfully crossed the street. When I looked over to the other side, I felt my heart drop when I saw that he was no longer behind me. He had stopped chasing.The tears I tried so hard to hide, poured out of my eyes. I knelt down and surrendered as the grief took over me.

I don't know how long I stayed there crying. I never felt so trapped before. Why did this happen to me all the time. First Adam. And now Sam. Was it fate for me to be alone???

"Sadie!"

I heard someone call me. It sounded distant. At first thought I was imagining it. But then I heard it again. Was it Sam? I slowly opened my swollen eyes. I looked across the street and couldn't help but smile a little bit when I saw who it was.

A/N: If there are any typos or grammar mistakes, please tell me! I wanted to post one more time today so I rushed a bit. Comment or message me if there are, okay? :) Hope this chapter wasn't a disappointment!