Chapter 22

It didn't take much effort to find Amanda's phone number. In fact, the first person I called knew it and was more than happy to share it with me. I dialed the number and waited for her to pick up. I was sure she was not going to ignore it as a unknown number. I had this feeling that she stalked me and had my number already saved it in her contacts. I mean, for Amanda to do something like that, it just wasn't a surprise.

She answered one ring later.

"Adam?"

That was the first thing she said. Not a "hello" like a normal person would do. I expected to at least made it look like she didn't know that I was the one calling.

"Hi Amanda," I tried to say as happily as I could.

"Why are you calling me?" she asked.

Before I could answer her, she added, "Was it because you missed me? Did you want to hear my voice to help you feel better?"

I immediately shook my head in refusal, but then to my embarrassment, I realized that she wasn't actually here in front of me. "No that's not why. I need to speak with you about something very important," I said.

"Oh, well then let's meet at Starbucks in 10 minutes?" she suggested.

I agreed and hung up. I unlocked my car and got inside. Before I started the engine, I couldn't help but take a last glance at the lit up upstairs window. I hope Sadie was okay. If she wasn't, it'll be my mission to cheer her up. I hated seeing her frown. Cry. Every time it happened, I felt like someone stabbed my heart and broke it into a little, tiny pieces.

----------------------------------

I pulled opened the glass door and the smell of coffee greeted my nose. I looked around for a blonde head and spotted Amanda sitting at a table near the back. I hurried over and sat down across from her.

A waitress walked over to our table and asked for our drinks. I really wanted to talk to Amanda about what happened with Sadie that I just picked a random drink from the menu. When the waitress got our orders and left, I got right to the reason why I was here.

"Why was Sadie crying today?" I asked, feigning as if I didn't know already.

Amanda cocked her head sideways and smiled at me. "I'm sure you already know why."

I was speechless. Who knew that Amanda wasn't as dumb as she appeared to be? I cleared my throat, even though it wasn't even scratchy. "Why did you hurt her?" I demanded. I could feel several eyes on me, but I didn't care. I came here for answers.

"You're mine Adam. No one is going to take you away from me. I mean, NO ONE. If I have to get rid of that person, it's what I have to do. And if I can't have you, no one else can either."

This was the second time I was speechless from some thing she said. I knew she had feelings for me. But I never knew it was the kind that was... obsessive? If she was willingly to hit Sadie with a car for just being friends with me, she's more capable of other, more dangerous things. I suddenly felt worried about Sadie's safety. I needed to protect her. From Amanda especially.

"What will stop you from hurting Sadie?" I asked. "I'll do anything, just please don't hurt her. Please." I pleaded.

She smiled at me. "Prince Charming came to rescue the princess. Great. Well if you want to protect your little princess, you just have to do one thing."

"What?"

"Marry me."