Chapter 45

Emma left about an hour ago and I had somehow convinced myself that nothing was going to happen in her absence. I can totally avoid Adam. I mean, did you see the size of this house? Avoiding him wasn't going to be a problem.

Easy peezy. Two words I will soon regret.

***

I plopped myself onto the tan leather couch in their living room and took out my cell phone. It was a pretty new phone that Sam got me. A Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. A phone brand that was Korean. A phone that I have seen in Korean dramas. I was more than happy to accept that. And I was glad that it was the one thing that I didn't forget to bring with me when I left. It was found in the pocket of my pajama pants and I had no memory of even putting it there. Oh well...

On my phone, I opened the Viki app and started watching Sassy Go Go. It's a 2015 Korean drama that's still ongoing. I already watched all the recent episodes, but I was going to rewatch them again. It was all for the male lead, Kim Yeol. He was just so cute! His smile seemed to melt my insides every time. It was a face that I could just stare at forever. (A picture is provided for all those who have not seen his adorable face :) Vote if you agree with me!)

I must've been so distracted by this drama that I did not see Adam walk up from behind me.

"What are you watching?" he asked curiously beside my ear. He was leaning so close that I could feel the warmth of his breath.

I yelped in surprise. The phone slipped from my fingers and began to fall toward the ground. "Nooo!!" I exclaimed in horror. I immediately threw my body out to save it, completely oblivious to the fact that there was a glass coffee table in front of me.

"Watch out!" he warned before pulling me back. I fell backward onto the couch and watched helplessly as my phone fell onto the ground with a clang.

I quickly stood up and knelt down to pick it up. Fortunately the screen did not crack, but I was sad to see that there was a scratch on the back. I had not gotten the chance to get a phone case yet and it was such bad luck for this to happen.

"You know, I could've caught that," I said as I brought my attention to Adam when I remembered that this was all his fault.

"Yeah, but you would've fell onto the coffee table. It's glass. It can break. It could've hurt you." His eyes stared at me as he talked.

"Then you should've have scared me like that," I retorted.

"I was just asking a casual question, your fault for not noticing," he shrugged.

"Why do you even want to know anyways?" I asked. "It's not any of your business."

"Just curious to know what was making you giggle like that."

I was giggling?? Oh my God, how embarrassing. "I wasn't giggling," I lied.

"Oh sure you weren't. So what were you watching?"

"Just a Korean drama."

Before he could respond, my phone started ringing.

[Lyrics to the song are translated into English]

This is a beautiful lie

My last lie

Even if it hurts to death

I am hiding myself under a mask for you

I see myself in the mirror and I ask myself

Will it really make you happy if I let you go?

I quickly got my phone and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Sadie, is that you?" the voice asked.

"Who is this?" I asked cautiously.

"Bryan."

"How did you get my number?"

"I have my ways," he said mysteriously. "I was worried about you. I had no way of contacting you."

"Oh sorry about that. Things have been a bit crazy around here," I apologized.

"Did you find out the truth? Whether it was Sam or me who lied?"

"I did."

"It wasn't me, right? I told you I would never hurt you, didn't I?"

"Yeah you did... look I'll call you back," I said before hanging up. I couldn't let Adam hear our conversation. It was too risky. Too dangerous.

"Sorry about that." I looked at his expression to see if there were any signs of him hearing our conversation. I was relieved to see that there weren't.

"It's fine. I didn't know you liked Korean pop music," he observed.

Oh shoot, he heard my ringtone. Oh Angela Angela Angela... why did you have to set a Korean song as your ringtone??? What if he notices something? I totally forgot that I told Adam about my interest in kpop. What a stupid mistake.

"Uh.. yeah I do. W-what about it?"

"Nothing, just that I knew someone who loved kpop. And she loved Korean dramas too," he answered in a daze.

"She...?" I asked. I shouldn't be doing this I told myself, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to know if he still remembered me. If he still loved me. If the thought of me still left an ache in his heart.

"Sadie..." he murmured. My heart winced in pain at the sound of my name coming from his lips. I haven't heard him say my name since forever. I missed it. I missed it so so so much.

"What happened to her?" I asked.

"She... she passed away 2 years ago." His eyes were filled with sorrow.

"How did she...?" I questioned further.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Sorry I didn't mean t-"

"Excuse me, I'm going to go now," he said before walking toward his room.

I watched as he walked away. At that moment I had really wanted to run toward him and give him a hug. And tell him that I was still alive. That everything was going to be okay now. But I controlled myself and just stood there as he got further and further away from my reach. The reality hurt. I knew deep down inside that we could never be together again. Not in this lifetime.

A/N: It's come to my attention that my chapters are too short? Is that true?