Chapter 36

Adam's POV

*flashback*

Half a year ago.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop thinking about Sadie. She was all that I could think about. Every second of the day. And every second of the night. Her smile. Her laugh.

I reached into my back pocket and took out a picture of Sadie. It was wrinkled and a little torn on the edges from the many times I have taken it out, but I still brought it everywhere with me. It made it feel as if Sadie had never left and was always by my side.

My eyes gazed sadly at the picture. It felt like it was just yesterday when I took that picture. It was taken on our first date at the carnival.

In the picture, Sadie cheerfully held up a small brown teddy bear in her hands. Her eyes twinkled brightly at the camera.

That day, I had tried so many times, but I still couldn't win a bigger toy for her. The only toy I managed to get her was the consolation prize. A small teddy bear. The same one she was holding in the picture. It made me frustrated at how I couldn't even get her a toy, but Sadie laughed and told me to cheer up before dragging me to another booth.

A tiny smile spread across my cheek at the happy memory.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when my parents suddenly walked in.

They've been staying over for a few days already. You would think it was to console me about Sadie's incident, but it wasn't. Not that I was even surprised. They had always been like that for as long as I could remember. Cold and self-centered. Always have and always will.

Although they didn't tell me why they suddenly decided to visit, I knew something was up. My suspicions were confirmed when I heard what came out of my dad's mouth.

"You're going to get married whether you like it or not," he announced. "To the only heiress of Samsung Group, Emma Queen."

My mom nodded approvingly.

Sadie was gone. The only love of my life. Gone.

"When's the wedding?" I asked without emotion.

There was no point in arguing back. They were obviously doing this to make their business relationship better. They probably already had all the marriage preparations all planned out. I knew that agreeing to this didn't mean anything. No one was going to replace Sadie. That Emma girl wasn't going to. She might be my wife, but in my heart my wife is and always will be Sadie Taylor.

-----------------------------

Our first meeting was at a fancy restaurant. Both of our parents were present and they introduced us to each other.

"Emma, this is Adam," a man who looked in his mid 40's said. I assumed that this man was her dad by the gentle tone he used when he spoke to her.

That's when I got the chance to take a good look at her.

Emma Queen had an above average height of 5'3. Just a few feet shorter than me. She had wavy blonde hair with brown highlights and captivating chestnut colored eyes. I could tell that Emma was a girly girl by the way that she was dressed today.

She was wearing a floral lace dress with a simple necklace with a rose pendant. A pink MK bag rested on her arm and she wore nude colored pumps. Her hair was curled in loose waves.

Any man would fall heads over heels for her. Well ... except me.

"Nice to meet you," Emma chirped.

I nodded and said the same thing in return.

It's been 2 months and I spent most of my free time focusing on my work at Apple and declined every time she called to ask if we could grab something to eat together. I guess she didn't get the memo that this was an arranged marriage.

But eventually I had to see her again.

Earlier today, my mom called to inform me about meeting the wedding planner later this evening. She specifically told me to pick Emma up from work and go there together.

"Why?" I groaned. "She has her own car. And I'm sure she has a driver to drive her with the car!"

"Adam West. This is not the time to complain. Are you a child?" she replied irritatedly. "I will not take a no as an answer."

Before I could respond, she hung up on me.

Around 8, I left work and drove to Samsung Group. On the way there, I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of the fact that I worked at Apple and I was going to marry someone from Samsung in a few months. Haha, I was basically marrying the enemy.

I parked my car in the first empty space I spotted and quickly got out.

As I walked past the front desk, the strangest thing happened. Even though I could swear I have never seen that girl before, she seemed so familiar. But I didn't know any redheads I thought to myself.

I brushed the thought away and hurried over to the elevators. My mom would kill me if I was late to the stupid wedding planner thing.

A/N: Thoughts about this chapter?