Chapter 7

8 years later.

After 5 years of hard work, I graduated Harvard with a Master's degree. I returned to California as a completely different person. When I left, I was the biggest nerd with almost-to-no confidence but not anymore. I'll show them that I'm no longer the same Sadie Taylor.

Not too long after I got back to California, I got a job offer from Apple Inc. and I automatically accepted. Apple Inc. was the same company my mom worked at. She retired a few years ago. Now she stays at home, baking. Or trying to. Let's say she doesn't have much talent using an oven. Haha. I chuckled at the thought of my mom.

I worked at Apple Inc. for 3 years and I'm proud to say that I'm now the Assistant Business Manager at Apple. Today there's supposed to be a replacement for the Business Manager. The old one got fired and arrested for stock manipulation. I'm suppose to welcome the replacement and get him settled as the new Business Manager. How fun.

Since the location of Apple Inc. was an hour away from my house, I had to get up an hour earlier so I won't' be late. I had to wake up at 6. Get ready and have breakfast by 6:50. Start driving there by 7. Arrive around 8-ish. After 3 years, this became a normal and somewhat painless routine for me. I mean, who would be able to get used to waking up at 6. Not me.

On the way there, I pushed a CD with songs I burned onto there myself into the music player. Mirror by MBLAQ started to play through the speakers. As I drove, I hummed along. Before I knew it, I drove into the parking lot of Apple Inc. I parked my blue Nissan into an empty spot and took a look at myself in the rearview mirror.

I saw my tired brown eyes looking back at me. My brown hair was tied up into a messy bun. I had bangs which covered my forehead. I had some makeup on. A little blush. And some lipgloss. I wasn't into makeup like other girls were. I took a final look and got out of my car.

I headed toward the entrance that I've walked in and out of for the past 3 years. Once inside, I went to the elevator and pressed the up button. When it arrived, I went inside and pressed the 8th floor. A few seconds later, I got to the 8th floor and went to the Business Manager's empty office. I had to make sure the office was ready for the replacement.

The office was pretty big, in my opinion. A Mac, office phone and nameplate sat on the large oak desk. I took a close look at the nameplate. It said "Business Manager, Adam West". Hm, so that's the name of the replacement. That name sounded familiar. Where have I heard that name before?

I winced as I felt a piercing pain in my head. Looks like my brain doesn't want me to remember. I shook my head in frustration. It's been years and my memories were still gone.

When I looked out the gigantic window and noticed the nice view, the name Adam West was forgotten. The window overlooked the entrance area. You could see the gardens down below with the many varieties of flowers.

Besides the desk, there was also 2 leather couches with a glass coffee table. Everything was all set I thought as I took a final glance at the room.

Knock knock.

I turned around. It was Carla, my best (and only) friend that also worked in Apple. She was going to be the Business Manager's secretary. "What is it?" I asked.

"The new guy's here," she added with a chuckle. "And I heard he's pretty hot."

I held in a laugh. "Haha very funny Carla. We're at work right now. Not a club." I smirked. "Now where is he?"

"He's about to arrive. Front desk said he just got on the elevator."

"Okay, let's go." I walked out the office, shut the door behind me, and walked to the elevators. Carla and I stood in front of it, waiting for him to arrive.

We didn't have to wait too long. The elevator arrived shortly after. The doors slid open, revealing a tall man dressed in a black suit. He had a serious expression on his face. But it disappeared when he caught sight of me. Shock was written all over his face.