Chapter 16

Adam's POV

It was already 1:30 in the afternoon when I came back from lunch. The first thing I did was look for Sadie in her office but when I saw that the office was empty, I walked over to Carla's desk to ask her about Sadie's whereabouts.

Carla was sitting at her desk, typing away on her own MacBook.

"Where's Sadie?" I asked.

"She said she wasn't feeling good and left early," Carla revealed.

"Thanks." I flashed her a quick smile and went into my office. I went on the Mac and looked up Sadie's resume. I knew that her phone number would be there and grinned when I found it in the contact information area. I added it to my contacts under the name "Sandie" before sending her a quick text. Are you okay? Where are you? Can I come and see you? Then I began to work.

From time to time, I would check my phone to see if she answered, but every time was just a big disappointment. You know that feeling when you just send someone a message- asking them something personal or something you're just dying to know and you keep checking if they answered back? That was what I was doing.

A few hours later, my work was finally finished, I checked my phone again, but there was still no answer from Sadie. Why wasn't she answering I wondered. Did something happen to her? Unable to wait any longer, I decided to call her.

Ring ring ringgg...

At first I thought that the female voice I heard was Sadie's, but it was the voice mail lady you hear when someone doesn't pick up the phone.

Sorry the number you called is not available right now. Please leave a message after the beep...

I slammed my fist on the desk in frustration. Why wasn't she picking up??!?! I grabbed my keys and phone and stormed out the office. Well this leaves me with only one option: go to her house.

I unlocked my car and got in. I started the engine and started to drive to Sadie's house. Unlike the first time, I didn't make any wrong turns and arrived there a little over an hour. I parked my car across the street and walked over to the patio. The lights were all off which meant that no one was home at the moment. Or that they were asleep. I felt that knocking would be rude because what if Mrs. Taylor was asleep and I woke her up? That's why I ended up sitting on the patio steps, staring up at the night sky.

I sat there for a good 15 minutes and decided I should just leave. I stood up and was about to walk toward my car when a silver car with bright headlights drove down the street. I was surprised when it stopped right in front of Sadie's house. I sat back down to hide myself and watched as the passenger door opened. A woman with curly brown hair came out. She was wearing a dress. At first I couldn't tell who it was, but then I recognized her. It was Sadie.

So that's why she wasn't answering my text and phone call. She was on a date.

The car drove away and Sadie started to walk toward the patio.

Since I knew that I was going to get caught anyways, I decided to test her. To see if she knew my phone number. To see if she on purposely ignored my call. I took out my phone and dialed her number.

A few second later, a Korean song started to play. It filled the quiet atmosphere with music. I recognized the singers' voices and knew that it was a song by Big Bang.. what was it called again? I remember listening to this song before on Spotify. Oh right! It was called Loser. Wait, did she specifically assign that song to my number? Awh, how childish of her to do.

I got up from my hiding spot and walked toward Sadie, who was now standing frozen in place, staring at her phone.

"Nice ringtone." I smirked.

Sadie looked up and her eyes widen when she saw me standing in front of her. She didn't say anything and continued to look at me. I walked closer and looked the lit up screen of her still-ringing phone. The caller ID said LOSER.

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw it. The song was called Loser and she named my contact as LOSER. "Very smart of you," I added.

"Aren't you supposed to be angry?" she asked amazed at my calm demeanor.

"Why should I be? You're paying special attention to me. It should be something to celebrate about. I bet I'm the only one that had a different ringtone."

She looked at me in surprise and a red crawled over her cheeks. "Whatever," she muttered.

That's when I saw her swollen cheek. "Did Amanda do this to you?" I was about to touch her cheek, but she swatted my hand away

"You were there. And you didn't do anything." She turned away from me and was about to walk away when I grabbed onto her wrist and pulled her into a hug.

"I know I know.. it's my fault. I'm sorry Sadie. I hurt you. Again," I apologized.

Sadie placed her hands on my chest and pushed me back. "A sorry isn't going to fix the problem," she said.

"Well how about a movie this weekend? And a dinner afterwards?" I suggested hopefully.