Chapter 21

I didn't know know what to do to make Sadie feel better. Should I cook something? Soup? Porridge? I stood there in the kitchen trying to figure out what to do for almost 10 minutes before I finally decided to make some chicken soup for her. Fortunately I had half of a chicken in my freezer. I took it out and rinsed it thoroughly with warm water. Then I started to prepare the chicken.

Almost 3 hours later, the chicken soup was ready. I took out a stainless steel ladle and scooped out a bowlful of soup. I placed the bowl on a wooden tray with a spoon and walked up the stairs.

Sadie was still asleep when I walked into the my room. I felt bad about waking her up but I assumed she had not eaten in a few hours which was unhealthy of her to do. Thus I ended up, lightly shaking her awake.

"Go awayyy," she groaned.

"No. I won't go away. You have to eat something Sadie," I said persistently. "So wake up. NOW." I jabbed her a few times which only caused more groans from her.

After a couple more pokes and shakes, I finally managed to wake her up. Sadie sat up and looked at groggily. Her eyes were barely open but it opened super wide when she saw me.

"What are you doing in my room?" she asked.

I couldn't help but laugh. She must be so tired I realized. Why else would she have not noticed that she wasn't in her own bed. In her own room. In her own house. "Maybe I should be asking you that Sadie," I said with a smile.

She looked at me in confusion before her eyes wandered around the room. I heard a small gasp before she muttered, "Oh." I could barely hear her say that. She must be super embarrassed right now. It was confirmed when I saw that her cheeks had turned a red.

"Well, drink some soup first," I suggested. I picked up the bowl and got a spoonful of soup. I blew on it for a few seconds before holding it toward Sadie's mouth. "Ahhh..." She obediently opened her mouth and I stuck the spoon in it. She gulped it down and licked her lips. "I didn't know you could cook," she said in amazement. I smiled and got another spoonful ready.

Sadie finished the soup quickly and rubbed her stomach in satisfaction. "Thanks," she said gratefully.

I placed the bowl down on the nightstand and looked at Sadie seriously. "What happened today?" I asked in concern.

She avoided my eyes and stared at her hands. "Nothing..." she murmured, her voice barely audible.

I held onto her chin and forced her to look at me. "You know I'll just keep asking," I said. "This won't be the end of this topic."

Her brown eyes looked at me sadly. She sighed and nodded. "Fine I'll tell you, but don't tell anyone else, okay?"

I nodded and pinky swore that I wouldn't tell a soul. That seemed to satisfy her since she started to speak.

"You remember the car accident I had in high school?" she asked.

"Yeah of course I remember, it was all my fault. I'm so sorry." I looked at her apologetically. But why was she talking about this? Was she crying because of me? I felt a stab of pain in my heart.

"Actually it wasn't. Amanda did it. Well she asked someone to do it. She didn't like you being around me," she revealed with a sigh.

My mouth opened in shock. That witch. I'll have to have a talk with Amanda later I told myself. "And that was why you're crying? Shouldn't you be... like angry?" I asked in confusion.

Sadie was quiet for a while before opening her mouth. "That someone she asked was...," she started to say as a tear rolled down her cheek. "I-it was Sa-Sam!" she barely managed to say between sniffs.

My fists clenched in anger. My blood boiled from within. "Sam did what!!" I exclaimed.

"He was the one who hit me with the damn car!" she yelled before bursting into a sob.

I slammed my fist onto the nightstand. The spoon clattered against the bowl. "Oh no he didn't!" I stood up and was about to rush out the door to find that Sam and give him a knuckle sandwich when I felt a cold hand hold me back.

"Don't," Sadie pleaded. "It's not worth it."

"You're worth it," I replied. "He hurt you and there's no way in hell I'm letting him get away with it." I shook off her hand and started to walk out. But then I stopped and quickly turned around. I ran back to Sadie and pressed my lips onto hers.