Chapter 34

"Aren't you supposed to be jail?" I asked when the shock wore off.

"There's nothing in this world money can't solve," Amanda boasted, revealing that there was a possibility of money being exchanged in order for her to avoid going to jail.

"Too bad money can't buy you happiness," I rebutted.

No matter how much money she had, it was never going to make Adam hers. To make him love her. To make him be with her.

"Money can't buy you happiness?" she scoffed. "What a joke, I'm feeling quite happy at the moment."

"What do you mean?" Her confidence made me feel uneasy.

"I did get some help from this person, but this was completely my idea," she bragged. "Aren't you proud of me?"

Realization struck as my brain absorbed the information she just told me. She was the one who did this.

"Why are you doing this to me?? I didn't even do anything to you!" I exclaimed.

There was a moment of silence on the other end.

"As if you don't already know," she said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "You took Adam away from me. And that's the worst crime you could've committed."

Oh not this again. When was she ever going to give up???

"Honestly I was planning on leaving you alone. I expected Adam to forget about you. But do you know what I heard?" she huffed. The sound of her voice was evidently increasing. "I heard that the two of you were dating! There was no way I could accept this. Why would Adam date a person like you? He should have at least picked someone like me, not a freaking nerd!" she burst out angrily.

She went on, "Besides, I clearly told you to stay away from him. But no, you just had to disobey me. I thought you already learned your lesson the last time, but I guess not. You were lucky before, but I'll make sure that you won't be so fortunate this time. I can promise that you won't be able to come back," she said. "Not alive anyways," she added with a chuckle.

"Y-you don't have to do this," I reasoned. "You won't get away with it."

"Oh honey, I already did."

"Aman-" I started to say but the other line went dead.

I took the phone down from my ear and noticed that the brightness of the screen was no longer there. It was dim and I could barely see what was on the screen. I was surprised to see that it only had 1% of battery left. I didn't realize how long I've been talking with Amanda. It had wasted almost all the battery. I hastily pressed the 3 emergency numbers on the keypad, but I wasn't fast enough. The screen turned dark before I could press the green button.

Just when I thought things couldn't possibly get any worse, I felt the ground vibrate beneath me. There was a loud whistling sound that seemed to be very closeby. I turned my head to the direction of the noise and saw the faint outline of an oncoming train.

It was traveling at a rapid speed towards the car. Towards me.

With each second, the shape of the train became more definite. I couldn't let Amanda win like this. I helplessly tried pounding on the windows again but it was no use. I ignored the pounding pain on my hands and watched in absolute terror as the train got closer and closer.

"I love you Adam," I murmured softly as my eyes welled up with tears. I closed my eyes tightly shut and waited for the impact of the train to hit.

A/N: What do you think is going to happen next? Will Adam come to the rescue? Or will Bryan? Or maybe a mysterious new guy? Comment your thoughts below :)