Homework-Dean

Requested by: whatiftheyarereal

You had never expected to be a hunter so you always tried to act normal when you had the chance, going to school helped.

When you were little, around age four or five, you had to watch your father kill your mother. He was possessed by a demon, which you didn't understand at the time. You remember crying, trying to hide yourself in the corner, but it didn't help. Your 'father' heard you and started advancing, only to be beat up and knocked out by a strange man.

FLASHBACK

"It's okay. My name is John, I'm here to help." John took a step towards you and you whimpered, shrinking closer to the corner. "Your dad isn't dead, we have to go away to be safe," he cooed. You looked up to him with tear filled eyes.

"Are you gonna hurt me?"

"I'm going to save you, take care of you. You get to meet new friends, my sons. They'll watch over you."

Your father started stirring so you stood up and ran to John's arms. Something told you that you could trust him. Together, you ran off to his car and shortly arrived to a motel where you first met Sam and Dean Winchester.

FLASHBACK OVER

The boys taught you how to shoot a gun and handle a blade while John went out on hunts. You were the same age as Sam, so you two got along well and both looked up to Dean.

The night John found you worked its way into your nightmares. You would wake up screaming and Dean would rush over and comfort you.

When you were old enough, John started sending you to school. You enjoyed being 'normal' with everyone around you. It was easy for you to fake your story, saying that your adoptive father was a journalist and so you traveled a lot.

You had a couple close friends and had your share of sleepovers. You had homework groups after school and study dates with guys as you got older. But that sense of reality always faded after each move.

Now, you had found normal again. You being in high school, your teacher sent you home with a crap load of homework. You couldn't get your mind to wrap around how exactly you could do this.

"Uhg!" you shouted in annoyance. "Why is this so confusing?"

"Why do you even want to do it?" Dean snickered from behind you.

"Because doing homework helps me feel normal."

"But who needs that shit anyways? Who cares what the teachers think? Chances are we are going to move to a different state in a week, tops."

"Dean-" you protested, then sighed. True. You looked down and tried to cover your sadness. In hunting, why would you even need to use calculus skills? You looked over to see that Dean was smirking, waiting for an answer.

"I do my homework because I believe it helps me fit in. I understand that we don't have a 'white picket fence, apple pie life' and that it will be more useful to learn to shoot straight than solve for x, but-" you let out a breath. "This is just really important to me."

Dean rolled his eyes and let you go back to your work. You wished Sam wasn't out with a couple friends, you two helped each other with homework. He was the brainiac of the Winchester family.

After more trying and erasing, you decided it was time to take a break. You wandered to the kitchen to look for some snacks to take back and a bottle of water, seeing the other beverages were beer...

You started walking back to the table when you saw Dean, in your spot, trying to figure out how to do your work. You smiled and watched him for awhile, leaning against the wall and munching on the chips you had.

The older Winchester son looked up with a triumphant look on his face.

"Y/n-" His gaze met yours and his face flushed red. "How long were you standing there?"

"Long enough," you chuckled.

"I figured out how to do it," he said sheepishly.

"Thought so." You walked to the table and pulled up a chair next to Dean. He passed the papers over to you and started explaining.

You were done with your homework in no time.

"Dean?" you asked, looking over to him once you double checked you work. "Why did you help me? You said this is useless."

"I saw that this was really important to you, and I wanted to do anything I could to help."

You gave him a smile and scooted closer to him. He wrapped his arm around your shoulder and set his head against yours.

"Thank you," you whispered.