Purgatory Games- Dean

For the sake of the chapter, you have a little brother named Stephan and a little sister named Juliette.

Life was hard within the districts of hunters. Each group was divided into sections of America and allowed to hunt anything... Except demons. Crowley claimed it was his generosity in allowing you to stay alive and your duty to keep the monster populations in check. But years ago, there was an uprising.

People fought against the rank of demons, trying to get long lost freedom.

They lost, of course. But Crowley took that as an eye opener. He thought that maybe he was being too kind, so each year two hunters, man and woman, from each district were sent to Purgatory. To fight to the death until a lone victor can reach the portal.

Crowley forces all others to watch. He has sources telling him if you are doing your job right.

The rules of living are simple. You can't talk to civilians. You must keep 'monster' population under control. Stay within your borders. And never interfere with demon business.

Today was the day of the reaping of hunters. You woke up after haunting dreams of leviathans, vampires, werewolves, and demons. You shivered. The shack that your family was sheltering had no source of heat what so ever.

Beside you, your sister stirred. Sitting up from her spot on the floor and leaned against the wall, shaking silently, tears streaming down her face.

"Hey," you scooted over, "It's going to be okay." You held her close, gently humming a soft song.

"It could be any of us. Mom, Dad, or Stephan." She gestured to your little brother. Crowley had no age limit to the Purgatory Games. There were times when you had seen a toddler or an elder thrown in, against the hunters desperate to survive and the thousands of creatures that remained within...

"There are many of us in the district, we'll be okay," you cooed, brushing her hair with your fingers. "We'll be okay," you repeated.

Short hours later, your family was dressed in your best traveling clothes/ best hunting clothes. You were walking to the location of the reaping, somewhere far from civilian populations.

When you got there, you were deep into a forest. Little sunlight shone through the thick branches of the trees, birds sang carelessly up in the leaves. Family by family, each group of hunters assembled. They were all thin, but muscular. None of them armed, because that was a rule for the reapings. Each hunter had to go into Purgatory unarmed, but weapons were set up at random.

"Very well," a voice boomed, "you're all here." A woman stepped onto the makeshift stage. Her hair was long and black, she wore the style similar to most demons. Jeans, a black leather jacket, and a smirk. Her name was Ruby.

She rambled on about the typical rules and traditions, talked about the uprising and Crowley's choice to start the Purgatory games.

"Time to get this over with." Her eyes flicked black as she walked over to a glass bowl, littered with red slips of paper. "Let's start with the boys."

Her hand dove into the bowl and slowly fished out a single card.

Inspecting the name with sly smile, she read the name.

"Sam Winchester."

Men sighed out in relief and you held Stephan close, he snuggled into your arms. A tall man with hair cut off just under his chin started stepping to the stage.

"No!" Another voice called out. Hunters were shoved aside as a shorter man with green eyes stepped in front of Sam. "I volunteer as tribute."

"What, no!" Sam protested.