The Original Beginning

Erika POV

"You have to get rid of him Erika. Imagine the people that would come after him! You're over 6,000 years old and for centuries you haven't been safe." Alarik whispered and kneeled down beside me as I rested against the tree holding him in my arms. My tiny Niklaus, silent and asleep in my arms. I took a deep breath before nodding. I knew I couldn't bring him into this life. The life of a hybrid or any supernatural creature.

"Esther said she'd take him, I just can't find it in myself to say good bye. Yet...I must." I looked to Alarik before standing and pressing my crimson lips to his forehead then tucked a small note into the bundled blanks that kept him warm. I knew each line I had written so carefully. I prayed he would one day read it. Maybe a couple dozen times through his short human life. I wandered to where Esther resided and merely looked at her with him in my arms. She instantly knew my intensions and almost smiled too quickly for my liking. I held my finger up to give me one more moment with my own flesh and blood, closing my eyes with my lips brushing his forehead.

"May the wolves howl for you Niklaus. For decades they'll protect you for you are their flesh and blood as you are mine. May nature be at your hands, for your mother has conquered all that is has to offer. May you always be my baby boy. For your flesh is my flesh and your bone is my bone. I love you Niklaus." I rehearsed his letter my final time for his small ears to hear. I held back my crimson tears, for I couldn't control yet my own curse of being the first of everything, something I would quickly finish mastering.

"It's time Erika...hand Niklaus over to me and he will be like one of my own." Esther walked over to me and carefully took him from my arms. I nearly glared at her for breaking the final moment with my son, yet I knew the time had to end.

"Give him that letter Esther. You may read it if you wish. Tis nothing but a mere poem from my heart." I took a step back and felt cold without him in my arms. I turned around and began proceeding into the woods from which I came, back to fighting off competition that dared try to kill me. The Original Hybrid. The Original mother.