Rivers Of Maroon

Erika POV

I sat down after cooking a metric ton of breakfast for every vampire and human in the house. Blood laced foods that made eating as a vampire not so horrible. Running my nails along my palm as I looked out the window in thought, listening to the conversations nearby beyond the quarter walls. The sound of Josef mumbling about food and sitting down pulled me out of my thought and I turned around.

"Hmm... Sorry Josef I was merely thinking. I went to the graveyard last night." He sat back and glanced at his brother whom joined him.

"Let me guess the voices told you something mother?" Alexander sat down and huffed as he poured a glass of blood and watched as Niklaus wandered in with the rest of what I'd like to call the scooby doo gang.

"Alexander they're dead witches...rumor has it Augustine is in town."

"Rumor from the dead." Josef rolls his eyes before shoving a piece of bacon in his mouth. I merely shook my head.

"Your brother Thomas is the only witch of you lot. He'd be the only one to understand." My eyes glanced over to Bonnie before smirking slightly. "You however are a witch...a Bennett."

"How did you know?" A laugh passed my lips before I sipped on a glass of blood orange juice.

"Darling I'm over 7,000 years old. I can tell whose a witch by your scent...the way you present yourself...and many other ways. Anyways with news that Augustine is in town, I've considered sending you all far far away, yet I know my boys will merely decline and be stubborn." Josef shrugged and looked to Alexander who nodded. Caroline gave a slight laugh and glanced at Niklaus. "I've contacted the witches on the other side and they've promised to grant you all refuge in the cemetery. If at any point you feel you're being followed go there. It is the only safe place. Augustine finds out how large the vampire...werewolf...and witch population is here they will flock like vultures to decaying flesh." I glanced around the room at everyone before taking a breath. "Stay in pairs at least. I prefer Hope not even leave the french quarter, with all the vampires here Augustine will probably not dare enter." Standing, I ended my little speech before wandering out of the room and into the outdoor foyer area. Marcel was sitting down sipping from a mug as he glanced over at me.

"If it isn't mother original...where is your play toy? Damon." A laugh passed my lips before I blurred over and lifted him into the air.

"You really do have a stick up your arse...all because you lost your little crown." I couldn't help but dig my nails into his neck, watching crimson liquid flow from his veins. "Damon and I are nothing you fool. We were imprisoned together. For many many years and grew quite close as friends. When you're forced to do many things you don't want to do. I wouldn't wish Augustine on my worst nightmare...I wouldn't even wish it on you." My anger was taking over as I slammed him onto the table nearly breaking it as my golden hues burned with approaching rage. "They tie you down to a table and play with every organ...every vein...and it burns...it feels like you are on fire and you want to die. You want them to tear out your heart! Yet I still don't die! So they keep going...over and over again. You want to tell the world the truth? Hmmm? Well truth be told Damon and I were forced to do many things. Forced to fight each other...forced to attempt to reproduce...forced to watch each other die every damn day. I don't understand love or feelings. So do not attempt to say Damon and I are are thing because I don't feel. I have not felt emotions except anger for centuries. Augustine just finished me off and made numb." I released him and knew from my senses every one one of them was watching and listening. Shock was the main emotion I sensed from everyone. Elena was of course looking at Damon and as a young vampire seemed more upset at him than anything. Niklaus' surprisingly was only glaring at Marcel, considering he'd upset his mother. "I'm...sorry." With that I left. Venturing off into the daylight and swiftly into the woods. My anger was my loss of control and I damn well knew better to let it get to me so easily.

Damon POV

She was in pain and of course I knew it after all I'd seen that tensed figure balled in a corner plenty of times. Yet here she harnessed it into anger and was taking it out on that fool Marcel. I knew the moment she'd left I would have a ton of explaining to do and Niklaus surely wouldn't be too pleased. Elena on the other hand would probably give me the silent treatment and at this point I didn't mind. I needed an excuse to get air after I confessed my story like a sin.

"Damon?" Niklaus chimed and sat down, crossing his legs and his fingers on his lap. "Care to elaborate on my mother's...story." I gave a weak laugh and glanced to Josef who thankfully had gotten the hint.

"Nik...mother went through a lot with Damon...I didn't know this was /the/ Damon. Needless to say Augustine skinned mother's emotions down." Josef shook his head repressing the images he must have had in his head. "I didn't know where she was to save her."

"I tried to protect her." I cut Josef off and noticed Elena once again glaring daggers at my face. It had been a long time that I had been this honest about anything. "Your mother would snarl at them or lunge at them so they wouldn't take me... or Enzo...She knew she could handle more than anyone else." I felt my chest tighten, my shoulder twitched just from the memories. "They.. They would take her into the operating room and she was silent as a mouse. I remember Whitmore he would get so pissed that she didn't offer a scream or a groan. Sometimes he'd just take Enzo and myself so that he could get that satisfaction." I felt the veins under my eyes show just from the emotion filled memories and my jaw locked into place making me talk through my teeth. "We....didn't deserve any of it." Josef wandered over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey mate lets grab a drink. Relax you're not there anymore." Niklaus merely nodded and blinked a few times to clear any tears that tired to escape. He stood and walked in front of me, looking in my eyes.

"Thank you. For trying to protect her. I know Augustine's sick games and you both had no control over what happened in there. Have a drink on me." He wrapped his arm around Caroline and wandered back inside with his Mikaelson siblings at his side. Elena rolled her eyes and turned around with Bonnie at her heals. Alexander gave a nod to Josef and headed inside as well leaving Josef and I.

"We need to find her." Josef mumbled and started heading for the streets.