Family Ties

Niklaus POV

We had broken the news about Godric, which didn't seem to surprise James. Stories of my family were shared between my new and old siblings. For once we were all happy it seemed. Time passed as we all talked until finally it was only Caroline, Erika, James, and myself. Oddly enough it felt like family. I'd never thought I would see my mother relax consider all that was going on, yet there she sat beside James, head on his shoulder and eyes barely open.

"How were you turned James?" I pulled a nearly sleeping Caroline closer to my warm frame. The funny part about it all was how my mother and him were much like Caroline and myself. So bonded that space between us was like poison.

"Erik got pissed off that I won all his money in a game of poker...so he killed me." He laughed slightly as did she. "Erika made him turn me to save my life and Godric said it would be best if she taught me how to live. I remember when I first met her in the blues club in Los Angeles. I sure as hell knew she wasn't to be messed with, but I couldn't resist being tempted... Little did I know a week later I would be dead."

"Completely not my fault love. You pissed off Erik not I." She laughed slightly and grabbed his hand, gently stroking over the scar that ran along the back of it. "The best part was that Erik told me you tried to defend yourself...I remember walking into the room to you being nearly dead....I didn't know how upset I really was at the time. You were merely an acquaintance back then."

"Sounds like us." Caroline lifted her head glancing at me as I smirked. "The allure of darkness. Seems to be a running theme with your Clark Mikaelson bloodline." My mother and I shared the signature smirk for a moment.

"Funny enough when I was young I was too good. Being alive for so long is what makes someone dark Caroline. Don't lose your light." I watched a smile cross my mother's lips. "When I was born my parents were upset I was a girl...well once my mother had a son they tried to have me killed...they did obviously. I asked myself this...and still do...why do bad things happen to good people. Well it is to make us stronger. To make us seem dark when really we are light. We do what we do to protect those we love. Though sometimes we confuse our acting dark for actually being dark. I admit I've killed many people in my life time. However many were to protect those I loved." She lifted her head looking to James then myself. "Sometimes we can't always protect every one or sometimes we think we are doing good and yet it's our choice that gets someone hurt."

" Mother don't blame yourself of what happened to me." I sighed slightly, once again I had to deal with emotions I lacked to feel since I was human.

"Truth be told I don't blame myself...I blame those whom chased me away from you. I blame my weaknesses, but not myself. My curse I have now is that I had for 6000 years." I watched James face tense slightly. His brown eyes scanning her.

"The one you told me about? How...how did it come back?"

"James..." She sighed slightly. "I died and it was the price to come back. I can't change it." His jaw tightened for a moment before he shook his head. Apparently stories of it were enough to worry him.

"You told me what it did to you..."

"What is it...?" Caroline mumbled to interrupt James. My mother merely gave a slight laugh trying to play it off as nothing serious though James was giving it away.

"My blood line... Well let me start from the beginning...When I was turned it wasn't bad...in fact it took over a thousand years for me even to notice. When... My blood line....is in pain. So if Klaus...anyone Klaus has turned...so on and so on...I can feel when they're injured. For all of my boys obviously and anyone I have turned. I can feel everyone's pain. Augustine doesn't know this obviously. Though there has been times where the pain is too much and I can't get out of bed. The last time I had it was when...When Niklaus died as a human. I felt you die and that shut off my curse because that was the only thing connected to me...as for now I don't quiet know how to get rid of it considering I'm not letting you die and well there are now thousands of connects to me." James pulled her closer and placed a kiss on the top of her head. I'd never seen a woman so old and strong so weak and tired. Though I knew exactly how she felt many times through my life. "We'll figure out a cure. I've done it before." I felt my jaw tense slightly before looking to James.

"You're very right. We will babe. Until then you need to stay out of harms way. Heck any of your blood line needs to as well." She laughed slightly and sat up a little more.

"You better not go trying to save the day James. Even if my blood runs through your veins you're not getting in harm's way."

"What does that mean?" I looked at my mother as she tilted her head slightly if surprised by the question.

" Niklaus, hybrid blood is very powerful. When people drink it they get just a fraction of our strength. A thousand years might not seem like much when someone drinks from you but 7000 years and a fraction of my time...You can feel so much stronger. That's why Augustine always loved my blood on New Years. It made them feel invincible."

"We tested the theory and I'm as strong as Josef when I have her blood, though it only lasts a couple days." He placed his head against the sofa and closed his eyes. "Right now I'm as strong as a new born even with feeding like a psycho for the last day." He chuckled for a moment before my mother stood and yawned.

"Yes well Augustine has its ways. Though it does surprise me they kept you in New Orleans. We'll have to find the labs and get rid of them. However for now we need rest. Good night Niklaus and Caroline."

"Good night"

"Good night mother." James slowly stood and gently wrapped an arm around my mother.

"Good night you two." James smiled at us before the disappeared inside and I stood picking Caroline up in my arms with Hope in her arms.

"Come along my queen. You and our princess need beauty sleep."