Midnight

James POV

It was late now, the sun already set and everyone was scattered getting ready for the party. I adjusted my thin black tie before sitting down on the bed and taking a deep breath. Even now my chest still felt on fire at times. Though thankfully the blood Erika had been giving me was more than helping. I lifted my head hearing her heals click against the wood floor as she came into view from the bathroom. A red dress carressed her frame. She looked the same in nearly everyway, yet more beautiful.

"What are you smiling for like a fool?" She sat down and I pulled her to lay down.

"I'm with my beautiful bride again. All those decades being locked up... I kept thinking that if I had just been faithful...if I hadn't made a stupid mistake then maybe neither of us would have gotten caught." She pressed her finger to my lips, gently running her thumb along my bottom brim.

"We can't change the past. I would go through hell again if I knew I would find you again." I smiled before sitting up and leaning over the bed grabbing the small jewelry box from the bag on the floor.

"I got you something for tonight. It's as close to the original that I could find." She sat up and took the box from my hand, popping it open. Clear tears dropped from her eyes onto the diamond wedding band that was secured in the box. " They destroyed mine... I'm sure they did yours too or sold it. I just want you to know that I'm here....and this curse stuff we'll get through it...Augustine will go away." I took the box and carefully removed the ring. Lifting her hand I slipped the ring on her finger before pressing my lips to her forehead.

"Thank you darling." She mumbled with a smile before standing with me and heading downstairs. "Funny how it all plays out though. We all must act as if every thing is alright yet every one knows hell is on earth right here." Heading downstairs we joined the others. Slow dancing for a few moments as if it was our wedding day again. I swore that smile never left her face.

I gave her hand a squeeze before walking towards the bar, a drink was surely needed for the both of us. Photos were being snapped nearby of every couple whom walked in to document guests for Klaus.

"All we can do is fight through it...that is all we know how to do." Glancing at her I shot a smile before tapping on the bar for the bartenders attention. "Two bourbons on the rocks." Leaning against the bar I scanned the room, so far nothing wrong looked to be going on. A few vampires on the roof watching over like guards. Klaus, Elijah, and Caroline strolled over obviously with the same intentions as us.

"I don't believe this was our best idea considering." Klaus mumbled looking to Elijah. "God only knows what threats loiter nearby."

"Relax, Erik is watching Hope she's in good hands." Caroline smiled slightly and squeezed his hand before she glanced at me and grinned. Grabbing my hand she examined the diamond shining from my finger. "Erik was right you did pick a beautiful ring!" I merely laughed before glancing at Erika.

"I just wish we could find the original." I grabbed our drinks, taking a gulp of mine to ease my still aching body. "Is Damon in a better mood?" Caroline gave a slight shrug.

"He's been around Elena 24/7 ever since you showed up. I think he's being Damon..."

"Damon being self destructive isn't going to fend well for any of us if he gets caught. Hell any of you getting caught doesn't fend well for me." Erika huffed before taking a sip of her drink watching the photos play in the wall of guests. Her face nearly went pale as she sat down. "Does anyone know her..." A older blonde stood alone waving towards the camera in the photo. Klaus shook his head as did Caroline. "Find her and chain her up somewhere...I want a word with her."

"Who is she mother?" Erika merely smirked before downing her drink.

"That is the devil in sheep's clothing." Klaus nodded not asking another question before going to signal the vampires to hunt the woman. "That...is my grandmother's body...but I surely know it isn't her..." I sat down on the bar stool and glanced back at the photo as it began to fade. " That is my mother's attitude. If she is back by God only knows how...This Augustine issue has just been tossed to the back burner. If she is back he could be back." I ran my hand along her arm before pressing a kiss to her temple.

" Hey....you're stronger than both of them either way...just relax. For all we know it is just her who is back..."

" Is she mean?" Caroline sat and crossed her arms. " Is she like Klaus' step family?" Erika shook her head.

"Truth be told it was my father whom caused the pain in my life....all of it. Though back then a wife had no choice but to follow the orders of her husband. However I never knew if she truly meant to hurt me. Considering she really didn't seem to upset I had been killed I don't think she was my friend." She shrugged before glancing around, Klaus' vampires were on to something for sure it could be felt in the air.

"Let's head inside..." I mumbled and took her hand, pressing a kiss to the back of it. What awaited her and us was a story that could shake a queens heart.