Shifting Tides

Damon POV

Days were passing and everyone in the house knew about James' battle against being a hybrid. The thrill of the kill was so strong for us vampires. Erika and Niklaus had departed for some sort of business as did Erik to tend to his own matters.

"Morning." I lifted my eyes from staring at the table as he walked in, taking a sip of my bourbon. I had a plan to make this day interesting in fact I even had a back up plan.

"Morning." Everyone chimed. A smirk crossed my features before I glanced to Blondie and Hope as Bonnie and Elena still were mesmerized by Hope.

"Any plans today pretty boy? Snap a neck?" He shot a glare at me before pouring himself a mug of coffee.

"I would snap yours but I'm really not feeling the whole trigger a curse thing." Sitting down beside Caroline he took a deep breath before proceeding to sip at his coffee.

"Well I could always say something really rash." I smirked before downing my bourbon.

" Damon... " Elena mumbled as I approached James who sighed and shook his head.

" Erika isn't around to protect you right now so let's see who you really are huh? I mean dealing with a bitch of a woman like that..." I laughed slight. " She must have you fooled like a dog." James stood, his fangs bared yet he didn't flinch. "It's great knowing you won't fight back too well." I tossed him out into the foyer, blurring after, yet he was already up. His eyes orange red and fangs still a single set.

"You're real fucked up Damon."

"I know...but I just hate seeing people suffer. Here let me help." I blurred over and grabbed his neck, yet just like that mine was snapped first.

James POV

I watched as Josef snapped Damon's neck, my mind racing as I sunk to the ground glancing over as Erika walked in with a multitude of shopping bags that fell quickly to the floor.

"James!" She blurred over and grabbed my face, her deminor calming once my eyes raised to her, my chocolate hues looking in her oceanic blues. "I am sorry.... I didn't think Damon would try to trigger you."

"I...I wanted to snap so bad." I mumbled and laid down closing my eyes and taking a deep breath before sitting up once more. "I don't want him near me." Wandering inside I went upstairs to the parlor and lit a cigarette before focusing on my hearing. I could sense the sound of someone groaning and slowly wandered towards the closet. "Hello?" Slowly pulling open the door laid a woman pouring sweet blood. She was compelled because she was not tied up but merely her lips covered with tape. Before I knew it she threw herself at me, trying in anyway to harm me with her fists. It was surely cute in a way.

Anyone would have done what I did. It was instinct to push and Damon knew. I had too much strength to prevent what happened next. Her already fragile frame fell busting another wound into her head as her neck made that final crack. It was in mere seconds that I felt a burning pain coarse through my body and a yell of pain pass my lips. Erika ran in as did Josef and Elijah.

"Get Damon tell Bonnie to lock him up for awhile... James?"

My mouth opened as I fell to the ground clutching my stomach. The fire was too strong that words didn't leave my mouth. She slowly walked over and easily helped me over to the sofa. I felt my shoulder snap out of place, my head was pulsing. She tapped me on the cheek and carefully readjusted my shoulder.

" Hey this is gonna hurt and... I'm sorry.... Just know I'm going to try and make it easier." Her eyes poured tears as my hearing went in and out. Before I knew it Erik was carrying me upstairs and into a ice bath. It felt like heaven as my eyes fluttered closed, my consciousness flowing in and out. I could sense Erika and now Niklaus wandering near me before a cold rag touched my head allowing me to open my eyes.

"Why am I not shifting?"

" Because I'm trying to make it the least painful way... You're gonna lose consciousness and you'll wake up wherever you decide to go..." My face scrunched up in confusion as my ears began to ring slightly.

"Why...why does this need to happen."

"Because you are strong...and the strong suffer to get stronger." Those were the last words I heard. My consciousness drifted away and when coming through I groaned slightly lifting my head from the leaves. It was dark, the moon was the only light in the forest as I sat up and blinked a few times. Clothes folded beside me was the first thing I noticed then glancing around I saw Erika, Niklaus, and Rebekah with a bottle of bourbon nearly gone.

"Well you certain did cause quite the disturbance." Niklaus gave a chuckle as I eased myself into my black jeans before sitting back down as the world spun.

"What the hell happened?"

"You shifted...let's just say you are very aggressive for a wolf." Erika gave a slight laugh and stood up wandering over to me and taking my face between her hands. "Show your features." I focused and felt my fangs lengthen, a new set came in behind my regular vampire fangs. "How interesting... Still burnt orange in color...more red than gold." She examined my teeth before showing her own and biting into my wrist. Lifting her head and analyzing the blood in her mouth. "Hybrid yes... But something is off." Her face showed worry as she stood and Niklaus came over helping me up before I eased my shirt on. I was too exhausted to really ask any questions for now. Other than being exhausted I felt perfectly fine.

"Now we all have to deal with Damon and his actions.." Rebekah chimed in glancing at me. "I think we should let you punish him. Though I'm very good at it." Niklaus chuckled slightly while assisting my ability to walk.

"Yeah well right now I just want to know what the hell is wrong with me...and rest."

"I'll be speaking with Damon. It's my fault this happened after all I led him on for way too long. I was just trying to fill a space that he couldn't fill." She placed a kiss to my temple before looking to Rebekah with a smirk. "Of course though your assistance could be used."

"Mmm I'm liking you a lot better than my mother." Rebekah chimed glancing at Erika before Erika looked to me.

"Get some rest...you're a hybrid and the battle has just begun."