A Queen's Crown

Niklaus POV

It was all a blur, a rare occurrence in my eternity where an event is even too much for me to handle. Davina stood, hiding behind Kol as she watched my mother's body be overridden with the power of hundreds of witches.

"She's going to die Klaus! It's too late, they've already got control."

"Shhh if she's anything like my brother she'll find a way through." Kol mumbled as we all stood still and silent observing the fight that lasted mere seconds. In one swift stride my mother approached Godric, the magic in her hand raising him to his knees. She pressed her hand to his head, the hail raining down as the voices of hundreds of witches filled the air. Then just like dust in the wind Goodric's ashes flew into the wind, shimmering colors of blue and white. My heart nearly stopped as she fell to the ground, limp like a dead body, the color fading from her form to that hallow grey.

"Mom! Come on. Wake up. Don't...Don't go..." Josef rushed over just as everyone else did. I swiftly lifted her head into my lap, tucking the strands of her golden hair behind her ear. All the hopes of learning stories and knowledge from her were gone. She was gone. I didn't even notice I was crying till Caroline wiped my face, saying words that didn't even register into my mind. My eyes shifting as quickly as my sorrow turned to anger. I eased her head down and blurred off into the woods, my body shifting out of pure pain yet I held back the full transformation and leaned against the tree staring off into the darkness.

Before I knew it Josef was sitting beside me and pulling a cigar from his jacket pocket and lighting it as he took a few puffs. Without a word he handed it over to me, the rain now a mere drizzle. "She's not gone...she can't be...I got Alexander and my father to take her home...we'll keep an eye on her for a few days and if things don't change...I'll be returning to California. She has a spot picked out for herself." He sighed before closing his eyes as I took a few puffs and leaned my head back closing my eyes.

"This isn't suppose to happen like this brother. I was just getting to know her...to learn where I even came from." My brows narrowed as I squeezed my eyes shut. "Maybe the witches will be able to bring her back. They wanted Godric dead. That was mother's maker." Josef sighed softly before shaking his head.

"Caroline did say that he was the reason they were caught. Though I sometimes think Godric made mother weak. You see back when she was born mother was to hold a throne. She was the first born of her father, yet back then a woman ruling was rare and he didn't approve. One day two of her father's men guided her to the market as they always did to protect her. Then...well they had orders to be carried out. They told mother they had to make a stop. So they guided her into one of her father's many homes and beat her...raped her... Then carried her out far out of the city in a sack. Leaving her to die in the heat of the dessert. Godric found her and offered her forever. She accepted but he told her never to kill someone after he had first fed her. Of course mother didn't listen and killed her father, mother, and baby brother that her father held so dearly so that he would get the throne. Well Godric punished her, drained her so close to the true death that for centuries she refused to kill. Finally she broke free of Godric's guidance and became who she wanted to be. She loves the thrill of the kill. She won't admit it...but it's intoxicating for her just as it is you. It's a hybrid's sensation I will never understand but only see." Taking in the story of my mother's turning only made mine sound more pathetic. Though how identical our anger was at first comforted my sanity.
By now Josef had snatched back his cigar and finished it off.
"Thank you Josef.." I mumbled looking to my brother who merely nodded before standing and offering his hand, which I accepted to pull myself off the ground. " We best go home...I will contact the witches. Maybe they will have some insight as to what options we have."

"If Thomas was still around he surely would know what to do. He was always the wisest though youngest. None of us grew up with mother you know. Eric took me from her. Alexander's father Timothy and his wife did the same. As for Thomas she gave him up to live a human life. In truth I think she wanted all of us to live a normal life. Yet some how we all got into deaths path and she came back and turned us to save us. I was dying of wounds from a war. Alexander got attacked by the mafia for betraying them. Thomas was too smart to do something foolish." He laughed slightly as we walked along the streets towards the quarter. " You see...even if she is gone. I have all the memories. She told me every story she could when I was human and dying. We thought I would get better but it turned out I not only had war wounds...but brain damage. The only thing to fix it was to turn me. Anything can be fixed by turning. Isn't funny? To live we must die. Now a days humans can live into the hundreds. That is if no one kills them, no disease, no awful habits. Yet why is life so short and yet so fragile and dangerous." He sighed softly before shaking his head and walking into the foyer of the quarter. "Here I go...rambling on as mother always said when I was upset...christ how do you think Damon is taking this?" I shrugged slightly and sat down rubbing my face.

"Frankly it wasn't on my mind to worry about him."

" Yes well mother doesn't always let on how much she cares for him. She took torture for him. Maybe it's the alpha in her...maybe it's that tiny piece of her holding onto being human again. We all have it." Josef glanced towards the light coming from the living room as Alexander and walked out and took a deep breath.

"She's still cold...davina says that she doesn't know a spell that can even bring her back. Kol says it is in the hands of the witches." Alexander sat down and lit a smoke before laughing slightly. "Meanwhile Erik says she'll find a way to bring herself back. God only knows what that means."

" How is Damon?" Josef mumbled glancing to his brother who shrugged.

"Let's just say Elena seems a little too happy to comfort him...though that bottle of bourbon is getting awfully low. Erik is keeping an eye on her. He's as confused as the rest of us as to why Godric would want to help Augustine." Caroline walked out and sat on my lap as I wrapped my arms around her tightly and took in her event that brought such comfort to me.

" If I had just listened we wouldn't have been in this mess."

"Trust me... Godric had this planned." Josef grumbled before sitting back. "I put all the blame on his ancient ass. He took the queen's crown."

----------------

Please comment and vote! Keeps me writing. Not too many people keep up with this story.