Fear Drives Speed

"Well y'all definitely were 'exploring' alright." Chris says as we step inside and sit in the back seat. He and Alice are sitting in the last row of the car and Maggie in the front, while Melvin drives. Rob and I look back at Chris, with an annoyed expression on our faces.

"We will go get those cars, take a small drift around and then we will talk?" I suggest, grinning and Chris and Alice smirk back. Robert looks at me like he doesn't agree.

"Why the drift?" He asks and Maggie looks back and supports him. I know they do not have experience with cars like we do, but hey, learning is what we humans, are made for.

"Because we don't like living life the boring way, we were born for speed." I say and Chris backs up my statement.

"I'm telling yall...when you race, its not about winning...it's about the feeling behind it." He says. "I've been racing ever since I was 13...Somehow, no matter what happens, my escape is the road. I've been through many situations...probably too many, and where do I always end?" He points out his window to the pitch black wilderness.

"But you are going against the laws and putting your life at risk." Maggie adds.

"Yes, we definitely are breaking rules...But when did being free and happy become a crime?" I say as I think back to all the times I drove out my pain. The many times I shut the world off and focused on speed. Running against time.. maybe running with it. I don't know if I will ever stop doing what I do because I put my confidence on the wheel and the wheel puts its confidence on me.

We reach the parking lot and we find four cars. I give Melvin a dirty look.
"We are six people Melvin." I say as I climb out the SUV and walk to where the cars are parked. It's pitched black and In the distance, I hear the sound of the Malibu ocean.

"Well one of ya'll will have to share a car then." He says joking, but no one laughs. He turns serious.

"I can't drive so....." Maggie says stepping off the SUV and I looked at her with my hands on my hips, and a mischievous smile on my lips. She knew what was coming.

"Well tonight you will learn. I will take the passenger seat." I say as Maggie turned serious. We then all hopped in our desired cars. I pick a green, Toyota GT86, that is fairly small in size. Robert tried to reach the car before me, but with a little bit of Rosie-convincing, it is mine now. He settled with a orange Lexus FA.

"Rosie, I-I can't..." Maggie says as we hop inside the car. I take the passenger seat which already makes Maggie nervous. I put fix my ear device so that it is back in place as I turn to talk to her.

"The first time is the hardest, but it is not impossible." I say as she turns the car on. Her hands start shaking as she put them on the wheel. I look up to her. "Maggie. I promise, It's not that hard." Maggie is smart, she's been in a car before, she knows which pedal is for the gas and which one for the break. Driving a car is really not that hard, you just need to focus on where you want the car to go. After a few seconds of silence, we both put our seat-belts on. She then tentatively hits the gas and she keeps both hands on the wheel.

"We will be down Will Rogers Beach Parking Lot"  Robert's voice projects in my ear. The whole crew zooms past us; all that is hear on this silent night, is their engines and the loud music booming through the speakers.

"Okay, we will get there." I say to the crew as I look over to Maggie who is driving slower than Chris processing things in his brain. "Even if it will take a...while."