High Hopes

Many Hours Later

I start to move my head and I feel a huge pain on the left side. I feel the hard floor I am sitting on. I notice my chest is lighter and I don't have the grenades anymore. I reach to touch and make sure I'm not
imagining this, but my hands are tied tightly to something, or yet someone. I quickly open my eyes. My back is against this person, who must be Eve. I feel thirsty and I can't remember how long I have been asleep. I find myself in a dark room, surrounded by boxes and dust. There is one lonely light hanging down from the ceiling. It moves back and forth creating this creek sound.

What happened?  My brain is trying to order everything.

I struggle to move my hands to wake up Eve. I whisper. "Eve? Eve.." I say. She moves her hands. After a long pause, and after I called her name a million times, she wakes up.

"Oh god. We are tied up?" Eve whispers in her heavy british accent. She moves her hands and bumps her head with mine.

"If it isn't that obvious..." I say with a bit of sarcasm. She stays silent. We both do for a couple more minutes until I hear her sobbing. The damn cartel found us and now we are probably going to stay here for a while.

"Eve.." I say feeling bad for her. She continues to sob. "It's going to be okay. We will get out of here."

"That girl. She got killed right in front of us." Eve says, her voice cracking. I can hear the sadness and fear in her voice. I stay silent as she continues to talk. "I feel so guilty." I struggle to sit up straight, my back is killing me.

"Life is unfair like that. I had to see Sasha die right in front of me, just like that." I say closing my eyes as I remember all of that. Eve also struggles to sit straight.

"I'm sorry Rosie. I owe you a huge apology." Eve says and I turn my head back to try and see her face but it's impossible; the way we are tied doesn't allow me to. I ask her why she's apologizing at this moment. "For acting like a brat. Especially after Ralph died. I didn't know all the details...But, I do need help. I am a drug addict and alcoholic." Eve continues to cry and I try to caress her hands. This is the closest we have ever been.

"I'm sorry too, for what I said back in the motel. I didn't mean it all like that." I say reflecting on what I said to her and Sean. Ugh, Sean was right, I should have never come here in the first place. Why am I such a hard headed person?

"Apology accepted." Eve says ."I just want to get out of here..."

"This is my fault." I catch myself saying.

"No. You are just trying to find you brother. Hell, if my mom were taken away, I would crawl to the center of the earth to find her." Eve says and her comment reminded me of why we came to Asencion in the first place.

"We came here looking for mom,you know." I say shaking my head. I came to look for her, they take my brother, and now Im tied up. "But, I still havent found her."

"I hate to say this, but are you sure she is not dead?" Eve says and it hits me for the first time. I am looking for mom, but what if shes not even alive after all?

"No, but I guess the hope of her being alive is what keep us going." I say taking into fact all the effort we as a crew have made to be here today. We stay quiet for a long while.

We then suddenly hear footsteps coming from upstairs. So we are in a basement? I think to myself as two men a women walk down. Suddenly I see that face.. Eve can't see who it is, but she will know who it is when she hears that voice. I have been surprised all my life, and unexpected things always happen, but never like this.

"My lovely guests." Owen says as he approaches us. I feel Eve trying to turn her head. I give Owen that dead Shaw stare.

"Dad? Dad you came to rescue us?" Eve says, high hopes filling her insides. Of course he didn't come to help us.

"Maybe." Owen says." I thought the same thing when I saw yall intruding my property." He casually says leaning on some box. He looks at me. He doesn't even care to see his daughter suffering, what a bastard.

"What? Your property?" Eve says in disbelief.

"Weren't you captured by the CIA last week?" I ask rolling my eyes.

"Yes. I escaped-" Owen says and crouches on the ground to be face to face with me."--when I found out you killed my father" He says suddently slapping me twice in the face. Some hair strands stick my face and they bother the shit outta me but I show no emotion, all though the pain from his palm is inevitable.

"Don't touch her!" Eve screams. "I can't believe you Owen.."

"Shut up Eve." Owen reprimands standing up. "You deserve the same thing for allying with traders like her."

"She has been more family than you and Ralph combined." Eve says and Owen walks to be in front of her. He stays silent for a second.

"I'm going to ask one question, and one question only. I need the name of the person you work for." Owen asks.

"Why? You are not going to find them" Eve spits right back. She is reckless, where was this side of her before?

"You'll be surprised." He says and I then realize he is now the leader of the cartel. Meaning he was the one that captured Chris and Alice.

"Where is my brother?" I ask with an angry tone. "I swear Owen, what you do to them?" Owen ignores me as he walks back to the stairs shrugging his shoulders." Owen!"

"You killed my dad. You thought I was going to let that just slip by?" Owen says turning around.

"You are seriously fucked up if you agree with what Ralph did. Transporting humans? Really?" Eve says struggling to turn her head.

"Money is money, and blood is blood. Your brother? Well I'll leave you with the doubt." Owen says as he and his groupie walk back upstairs. "Oh and Rosie? You found Rosalinda yet?" He says laughing.
I am furious like the engine on my R8 when I double shift. I don't like this feeling because I lose it all and go crazy

"Eve we have to get out of here." I whisper to her once Owen is out of sight.

"Try to slip out the rope." She suggest and we try, together, to rub the rope off our hands. The pain is horrible, and we are not successful. After a few seconds of just sitting there, silently, I tell Eve I will try to free her hand from the rope. To do so, we stand up at the same time, carefully, and I try with my dangling fingers to roll down the rope from her wrist. Five minutes go by and poor Eve, the pain is really bad. After trying, I feel the rope loosen and come off her one hand. I really don't know how, but I free one of her hands.

"Dear lord!" Eve whispers in excitement. I breathe out. She frees her hand and then I quickly tell her to free my hands and her other hand from the ropes. I observe her swollen, red hand, as she loosens the tight, yellow rope. After a few seconds, I am free again, well barely. Now we need to get out of here. We have to reach the underground place and find Chris and Alice. I don't care what Owen said, I will find my brother. Something tells me he is alive and I will feed on that hope.

"Now what?" Eve asks looking around, trying to find some place out of this basement.

"Let's walk upstairs." I suggest. Eve gives me a 'no, we are not' look. "Okay,  then let's find a window."

"I like that idea better."