Chapter 13- A Kitten Amongst Tigers

Chapter 13- A Kitten amongst Tigers

In a hotel Room in the city, Bastian sat cross legged on a lavish bed, wearing simple linen clothes. V was sleeping on a sofa near the bed. Ben stood at attention, next to Bastian's bed, with a worried look on his face.

This was quite the change, considering their previous predicament.

...

After the General saw Bastian make his oath to the heavens, he was astonished.

Bastian's actions were completely unexpected.

"General you only have five minutes, if I were you, I would use them wisely."

The General woke up after Bastian spoke.

This brat! It was a trap!

Yes, it was a trap. The General did in fact have enemies. One could even say he had more enemies than he should, due to his honorable nature. He would often speak out against anything or anyone who he deemed dishonorable, and in the Western Deserts, such people were as common as a grain of sand.

The General wasn't really being forced to do anything; he could just not identify his enemies for the next five minutes. That would render Bastian's actions void.

But then he would lose out.

Indeed, for this was too good of a deal. A Mark Bearer had offered to wipe out his enemies for him, all within a year; all he had to do was give him control of his army during that year. Not to mention that the Mark Bearer had made an oath to the heavens. This meant that he was very confident.

But there are still a few problems.

"How do I know that you aren't trying to take control of my army? What guarantee do I have that you will not try to take it from me?"

The General had a good point. Bastian was a powerful and charismatic Mark Bearer. Within that year, he could easily win the hearts of his soldiers, especially if he really did carry out his oath. Some, or possibly even more, might leave with him.

"Oh. That is simple. General I do not just want an army. I want a good army. If I was to fragment your group, it would lessen in ability. Besides what I want the most is not a large number of soldiers. What I want the most, General, is you." said Bastian whilst smiling.

"Me? Why me?" The General couldn't help but ask.

"Well General the reason is quite simple. You are an honorable soldier, one who has the ability to cultivate an honorable army. I don't just want one army General. I want to have many, but first I must have someone I trust who can lead those armies.

Someone, who is also very intelligent and charismatic, you said it yourself, you and your men would rather die than do something against your own will, I admire that. A man who can cultivate such a loyal group of soldiers is very valuable. Which is why I need you General, I need you far more than anything else." said Bastian as he pointed at the General.

"You see General I have a vision. This region is far too war torn and disruptive. I already established a Kingdom of my own, but a distance from here. When I return to my Kingdom, I plan on establishing true law and order, a land where honor and truth are paramount, a land where the weak aren't constantly afraid of being trampled on, a land of freedom!"

Bastian speech struck the General like an anvil. He had never heard such words from a noble before, let alone a Mark Bearer. On the Sovereign Continent, it was the law of the jungle, the strong prey on the weak. Very few people wanted to change that, least of all, nobles and Mark Bearers.