Ch:31-Healing

(Sadia's POV)

My eyes snapped open, as I saw the incidences of last night again in front of my eyes. I looked at Abrar beside me and then at our entwined fingers. He was peacefully sleeping, his eyes completely shut. My eyes roamed around the room and I saw a nurse, leaning on the sofa. Her eyes were open, I slowly tried to sit, not moving my hand much, as I didn't want him to be awake.

After, slowly lifting his fingers one by one from my hand, I placed his hand softly on the bed. When I looked at the nurse this time she was looking at me.

She was a healthy, middle aged women, who had no smile on her face. She looked at me and her face was all serious. I felt shy, for her to see us like this. Even if I was with my husband, it still felt wrong in front of her. I woke up and walked to her.

"You can keep sleeping. I am watching on him." She told me her voice almost a whisper.

"No, it's okay. I have slept enough." Did I? It doesn't really matter because I have to take care of my husband, not sleep instead. I looked at the wall clock and it was four in the morning. I went to the washroom, freshened up and went back and sat beside Abrar.

I looked at Abrar, and he kept sleeping. It was very rare to see him asleep. My eyes then shifted to his left hand and the memories, of AK Shah piercing the knife in his hand came back. My breathing rose and I tried to divert my mind to somewhere else. I prayed for Abrar's hand to be okay. For him to be completely fine like before. I prayed for our normal life, though we take it so much for granted. We only realise how precious it is, once it is taken away from us or we are in a difficult situation.

My eyes then shifted to the curtains, they were of dark chocolate brown with a combination of black. No one could tell in this room, if it was a morning or night? You wouldn't even hear the bird chirping outside, which was so normal. Maybe his glasses were sound proof too. I wanted to change these curtains so badly but I understand why he put this on. It made sense, he works 24 hours in a day and he doesn't even know when he will sleep. So when he sleeps, it should look like night for him even if it is mid-noon. I understood but it was not that easy to accept. Accept the darkness that he lived in. I wished if I could change the curtains, but then I realised they were like that for his convenience and I didn't want to interfere with that. I wanted to be a part of his life not change his life. I liked my Abrar the way he was and I didn't want to change him or his lifestyle.

I still remembered how he looked the first time when I saw him. A total workaholic which he is and totally sleep deprived. God knows for how many days, he didn't sleep at that time. I looked at Abrar again and my hand almost went to his hair but I stopped myself. He wakes up by my touch, I thought. When mom caressed his hair he slept so peacefully and when I did the same thing he snapped open his eyes startling me. Why was it like that? Why couldn't I touch him, when he was sleeping?

~~~~~~

Abrar, kept sleeping till eight in the morning. The medicines made him sleep more. The nurse gave him medicines, which he took. Then mom, dad, grand dad and grand mom all came in the room and sat beside him. We all had family talk for about an hour. Mom again fed him the breakfast and everyone laughed at him, in front of him. He sat there, silently swallowing the porridge. His expression blank, more like not caring about what they were saying. They made fun of his workaholic nature, his bossy attitude, that he would fire them for saying things against him and what not.

I covered my mouth, almost stopping my breathing, trying hard not to laugh. I didn't want to laugh at him, especially when he was in that condition but grand mom, just made that not work too.

"Sadia, it's okay don't suffocate yourself that much, to control your laugh. Laugh your heart out because he is not in the stage to do anything to you." As she said that everyone bursted into another high pitched laughter. I bend my head down, to hide my face which I knew was red now. I looked at Abrar and I found him looking at me too. It was so embarrassing. I turned around and told I will be right back. There was no chance I was standing there anymore, unless I want to be mortified even more. I slowly walked out of there, while all of them laughed. I went to the kitchen and grabbed something to eat, as I was very hungry. I took a bowl of cereal, added milk and sugar and sprinkled some fresh fruit over , that were left cut. It was the fastest best breakfast that could be eaten.