Chapter 1

A gentle stroke through my hair and a whisper in my ear woke me up: "Roza."

His voice. A music to my ears. His English with Russian accent. Feeling his warm breath on my skin made me bristle. His strong but also very gentle arms were holding me hours ago like that night in the cabin. But the night in the cabin was different. Then we weren't allowed to be together. Now we felt free. We were out from the Academy, he was not my teacher and I wasn't his student. Now we were only people in love.

I turned around and saw him watching me. I put my arm on his cheek and kissed him. It felt so good. I turned myself on top of him and we were kissing passionately. His arms were first glancing all over my body but now they were on my hips.

He stopped kissing me and opened his mouth trying to say something but I put my finger on his lips and shushed him. I was kissing his chest now with my finger still on his mouth.

He grabbed my arm and carefully moved me off of him back on the left side of the bed. Now he was on top and able to speak. "I have to get ready. Or I'll be late."

I yawned. He kissed me again and then walked off to bathroom.

"How dare you walk away from me!" I cried dramatically, sitting up. I looked out through the window and saw that the night will be perfect for jogging.

Dimitri was already ready to go. The only thing that was missing was his duster. He was looking around trying to find it.

"Wait." I said and jumped off the bed, going to the wardrobe. I took out his duster and gave it to him.

"I washed and ironed it." I said with a big proud smile on my face. I was glancing his collar while he was watching me.

"What?" I asked.

"I love you." he said and kissed me.

"Go, Comrade. You're going to be late." I said just to look more responsible. He laughed.

"I love you too. And... Be careful.

He went outside and walked out in the crowd full of other guardians. I was standing by the door leaning against it and watching him walk away to work. I felt like a wife. A wife...

After I ate some breakfast, I turned my way into the gym. I have to recover and get stronger so I can return to my job. To a job I was born ready for. To be Lissa's royal guardian.

I mean she has other guardians that protect her, while I'm on my recovery vacation... But of course I'm worried about anything happening to her. Especially now, when the bond between us broke and I can't feel what she feels or read her mind. It sucks.

Well, at least now I don't torture myself with all those Lissa and Christian romantic moments...

And some of the public refuse Lissa as Queen. If anyone tries to hurt her... I'll kill them. I mean it. They come first, I was taught.

I just turned on the corner and the door to the gym were in front of me. I entered in and walked to the wardrobe on the left side, and left my stuff there.

The gym was full of fighting gear. The equipment was much better as the one in the Academy.

As always, first comes the warm up. I took a 20 min run and then exercise myself. Every time I go to the gym I remember lessons with Dimitri. How much did he made me run and all that time he didn't allow me to use the silver stake. It always makes me smile.

Dimitri and I spent the most of the time together in St. Vladimir's Academy gym. I don't regret any of them. Now I went to train on a punching bag. After some punching I started feeling pain in my chest. I thought about the one who shot the bullets.

Tasha.

Christian's aunt. The one I never expected was able to do what she did. Nobody thought of her to be the guilty one. She planned it all very well. She wanted to get rid of Queen Tatiana, because she never liked the way she ruled the Court. She killed her. But why did she try to get rid of me too? The answer is very simple.

Dimitri.

She was always in love with him. Before, she even offered him to be her guardian. And in that time I thought she was a good person. And I even said Dimitri to accept the offer. How stupid of me.

I never visited her cell. And I don't even attend to. A thought of her made me punch and kick the bag harder. But the idea was bad. I started to feel dizzy. I held the bag to stop it swinging and to have a grip on something. I stood there with my eyes closed and heard footsteps approaching.

"I thought I'll find you here." Theo came in. He was smiling, like he always does.

Theo Timberlake. He's a non-royal moroi staying here on the Court. His family history is not known, because he never knew them. He was raised up by a Timberlake dhampir family, in a small dhampir village in Ohio. The only one who knew about his parents was Dennise-the mother- but before that happened she died in a fight with a strigoi. Now he's left with his sister Jody, his aunt Drina and his two nephews, Alan and Lucas. Even if he doesn't know about his past, he's okay with it, he says. He is grateful for Timberlake's to take him and accept him in his home.

Theo is my buddy. In the past month he was being my company, my friend. He went running with me, he made me laugh when I was feeling down or lonely, he laughed at me, watching how I train, he finds it amazingly funny.

"Where else would I be? If not in the gym..." I opened my eyes, stood up straight and smiled back.

"When are you getting back to guard the Queen?" he asked.

"The Queen does not allow me to come back until the doctor allows me to. She's being too possessed over it." I say rolling my eyes.

"She only worries about you." We go to the bench and sit down. I still feel a little dizzy and my wound is still hurting. But drinking the water made it vanish.

"How... How is Dimitri doing?" he asked.

"He's on his duty most of the time but when he's not working, he's with me. So how do you think he's doing?" I say smiling and looking on the floor. But the smile quickly turned into a serious face.

"What is it?" he asked me.

"It's just... Before I graduated, when I was still a student, I was actually spending more time with him, then now. I'm just disappointed, I guess. I thought that it's going to be better when we're out from Academy, when we're allowed to be out in public...But his job is taking him away from me." In that moment my phone rang. I opened my back-bag and saw Lissa is calling. I quickly answered the phone.

"Hi, Rose? Did I wake you up?"her voice was heard from the phone.

"Hi! Of course not. I'm here at the gym." I replied.

"Could you come to my office in two hours? I finally have time to talk." she said. She sounded exhausted.

"I'll be there." We talked rarely from her coronation. At first she could have time for me but after her sister, Jill, had got attacked, guardians are all around her. That means no privacy. I imagine how that would be for Christian and Lissa… But that keeps her safe, so Christian and I shouldn't complain.

"I have to go now. Duty calls. See you!"and before I said goodbye, she hanged up.

In the next instant I felt horrible. The room was dancing all around me. I felt this huge pressure in my head. And I had this sick feeling of throwing up. I ran to the toilet and threw up.

Theo came in. He probably heard me.

"What the hell..?!" he ran beside me and hold my hair up. His other hand was on my back stroking me to feel better.

When there was nothing else to throw up, I went to the basin and washed my face.

"Are you feeling better? Should I take you to the doctor?" Theo asked concerned.

"No. I'm fine. It's probably just food poisoning." I can't afford any more days off just because I got a little sick. If Lissa and Dimitri find out about it they would never let me guard Lissa. It's just food poisoning, or something like that…

It had to be.