Chapter 15

ROSE

I was walking through the hall with a cookie in my mouth trying to zip my trousers but I realized they don't fit me anymore.

"Oksana, my trousers, they don’t fit me anymore." I say when I enter the kitchen. Yulian was cleaning the table and Oksana was washing the dishes.

"Well, it's about time. We need to get you clothes for pregnant women. I'll call Dimitri and tomorrow at day time we'll go." Oksana said. That made me think of me getting... "bigger". I wasn't looking forward to it. I yawn, stuff the rest of the cookie in my mouth and run to the bathroom to get a shower.

Taking my shirt off and looking at my stomach made me realize how quickly it’s happening. It's been three months now, and I read in a magazine a little about it. From now on, I won't feel that sick anymore. Now, my stomach will grow.

Will it be a boy or a girl? What do I prefer? How will I name him?

God, so many choices to make, alone.

It's time to sleep now, but I still didn't get used of the time-zone. I'm laying in my bed looking at the picture of me and Dimitri which I still carried around.

I can't stay in my bed anymore... I get up and go to kitchen for a glass of milk. Ivan and Yulian are awake now. They're probably playing cards or watching sports on mute.

"Still can't sleep?" Yulian asked. I was right they were playing cards.

"Nope." I said playing with the glass full of milk.

"Play a game with us." Ivan said looking at those cards like they were made of gold.

"I think I'll pass. Thanks." I never wanted to learn to play cards. It was never the thing I would do when I would be bored. I only knew how to play poker. I used to play it with Victor. But I did sit next to them.

Watching them play cards and do goofy, angry faces or cursing and fighting in Russian is entertaining. Even though they're brothers they don't look nothing alike.

Ivan is sweet, shy, nice person wanting good to everyone. I think he's not lucky to be born as a dhampir. He has a character of a moroi. On the opposite, Yulian is the "hotshot". He's the brother that was popular in school, have all the girls and be invited to every party. But it looks like Ivan wasn't really jealous of him.

"So, we're going shopping tomorrow?" Yulian smiles. I nod.

"Who's the father, anyway?" Yulian asked. I saw Ivan giving him a bad look. "Oh, you don't want to tell... Okay. Sorry."    

Ivan put that ginger hair behind his ear and started smiling. He had good cards I see. He reminded me of Mason a little. That look with blue eyes made me remember Mason... It's almost a year since his death. Of the day Mason saved me. Of the day I killed a strigoi for a first time. And speaking of that...

Yulian’s moves and the way he talks remind me a lot of Adrian. Oh, Adrian. I didn't hear from him for a very long time. He left and all I heard was that he was traveling all around the world. He never gave me the chance to explain. Oh, well he's not the only one that doesn't give me a chance, so...

"What are you thinking about?" Yulian asks me.

"Chances..." I smile. Yulian gave me a confused look.

"You are the famous Rose, right? The one who got marks even before she got the promise mark?" Yulian continued the conversation.

"The one and only." I say.

"You know, I think you should get some sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a tough day for you." Ivan said.

"Yeah, I should." And I was getting tired anyway. I went to bed and slept all night.

Worse thing than going shopping for pregnancy is Dimitri coming along. Why do we need him with us? I feel bad enough him being here in Russia and leaving Christian unprotected.

All those clothes... and kids’ stuff... I need to get more excited about this.

"No black clothes for me?"

"You don't need black." Yulian said.

"Yes I do. I'm a guardian."

"Well you're not able to be a guardian right now, are you?" Orlena pointed out.

"No. But still..."

"Rose, you are never in a good mood." she said.

"How can I be in a good mood, please tell me? I never expected this to happen." I say. "I'm scared and alone in this." I say it more quietly now. And I hope Dimitri didn't hear me. "And this wasn't supposed to happen.". I hear Dimitri make a sound. It looks like he heard it all.

"Not in the way you finding out I cheated on you," I turn around and point a finger at him, "because I didn't!" he was actually looking at me while I was talking to him. That's a progress. "But in the way that I thought it wouldn’t be possible!" Now I hope I wasn't too loud. "Can somebody please remind me of why is he even here?"

"To protect you." Dimitri said.

"Well I don't need your protection. You can just go. So you won't torture yourself."

"I'm staying."

"No. You are going. Because I'm sick of you!" Now I turn to Oksana, "I want him away from me. I don't want him to come to your house anymore, I don't want him to go anywhere with us, I don't want to see him again! So I won't torture myself for something I didn't do."

Oksana gave him a look that made him go. Instead of feeling better I feel bad, hated, empty. I don't know what I expected. Him to insist to stay?

No, I know what I expected. I expected him to say that he believes me, to say he's sorry and to tell me he wants to do the shopping with me for our child. To tell me that he wants to raise our child and teach him how to fight when he would be old enough.

I bought some clothes in darkest color that is possible and Oksana made me buy some cute clothes for the baby. I didn't want to buy a lot because I still didn't know what sex my child is going be.

When we came home I got ready to sleep. My day was horrible. I sent Dimitri away and told Oksana I don’t want to see him again. But actually I felt safe knowing that he is going to stay here in Russia. Dimitri is probably going back to the Court now, and continue to hate me…

“Someone is here to see you.” Yulian knocked on my door while I was brushing my hair.

“Who?” I asked.

“A woman.” he said.

That made me curious. I went to the kitchen.

“Olena.” I said surprised.

“Hi, Roza.” she smiled.