Chapter 5

LISSA

When Rose walked out of the room everybody was just staring.

The look on Rose’s face when I didn't say anything killed me. She was disappointed and she felt betrayed by me. By all of us. But what could I say?

I don't know anything about pregnancy. Especially Dhampir one...

Rose is pregnant. She's going to have a baby. But who is the father? Two Dhampirs can't have children. Rose would never cheat on Dimitri. She loves him so much, that she would never even think about that. This is all just too confusing.

Dimitri was standing ahead of us. He was showing us his back. His shoulders were moving up and down like crazy. His hands were shaking and he was breathing through his mouth, his breaths were deep and also shaking.

There was a chair in front of him. He kicked it so hard that when it hit the wall it parted and crashed on the ground like a tornado would catch it. The noise was so loud and all three of us in the room reacted. I hate seeing them so hurt. Christian put his both hands on my shoulder to support me because it looked like I'm going to faint. Dimitri looked back and said, "I’m sorry." then he walked out of the room.

Rose's mom was next to leave. I don't get her. How could she doubt in her own daughter? Oh... yeah I know... She doesn't know her own daughter. She left her in the Academy.

Now only Christian and I were in the room. "Christian..." I said and started crying. He hugged me. I tugged my head into his chest. It was hard to breath but it felt good. He smelled of soap and fire smoke. He was probably using fire earlier.

"Liss, Liss,..." he was repeating my name softly. "Calm down..." I moved away from him.

"How can I calm down? All this pressure with being a queen, problems with Jill and now this? How will Rose ever forgive me?" he looked at me concerned.

"It's late. You're tired. Let's get to sleep." he said and brushed his fingers through my hair.

"Will you stay with me?" I asked him while i was wiping my cheeks.

"Of course I will." he said. I nodded and we went.

We just entered and I quickly jumped in my bed. I covered myself with fine, smooth sheets. Christian came and laid next to me.

"Could you give me the phone?" I asked through the pillow and stretched my hand to show him where it is. He gave it to me. I called Rose. She didn't answer. I called again once, twice ,... five times but everytime it turned into a voicemail.

"Leave it. She needs time." Christian said and tried to take the phone. I let him. I didn't want to but I think he's right. He puts the phone on the bedside table and kisses me.

"It'll get better, you'll see."

We were laying in the bed, my head on his chest, his fingers brushing my arm, tears coming down my cheeks for whole night. I didn’t sleep at all.

The alarm turned on and we both knew it’s time to go. I quickly took a shower and got myself ready. Nor Rose, nor Dimitri got here to guard. I don’t blame them. Christian said that Dimitri is waiting for him outside of the building. They had to go do some Ozera family things.

He kissed me goodbye and went. I walked away with 2 guardians. They took me to my office. I had this small bit of hope that Rose will be there. So I can apologize to her and beg her for forgiveness for being quiet and doubting in her. But she was not there.

Where could she be? I want to talk to her. I must. I call her again. Now the voicemail said the number does not exist… What? I checked the numbers again.

“Guardian Stone. Could you come here for a second?” Guardian got away from the window and came closer.

“Do you maybe know where’s Ro… Guardian Hathaway?”

“All I heard was... that she left the Court.” he said. What?! She did not to that. She couldn’t. No.

“What? How? When? Where did she go?” I stood up and yelled at him like it was his fault.

“She went yesterday night. Where did she go… I don’t know. Nobody of us knows. It was her choice. She came in the office yesterday night, gave us her uniforms, guns, all that was of Court belongings including her apartment keys and went.”

“No! She didn’t leave! She didn’t leave me! You must have mixed her with somebody else. No, she didn’t leave, where could she go?” I was shaking my head and I put my face in my hands. How could she do that to me? She said she’s not going to do this again!

I turn to look out the window and I saw Christian approaching. Dimitri was with him. He must have known something. Anything. I run out of the room with dhampirs running after me. When I came to Christian he looked at me surprised.

Dimitri looked like he was dying. He looked worse then my uncle Victor did when he was ill. His hair was all messed up, his face was pale and he had bags under his eyes, like he wouldn’t sleep in a month…

Instead of going to Christian, I went to Dimitri.

“Dimitri, where’s Rose?” But he was quiet. He looked at me like he’s going to pass out in the same instant.

“Dimitri, please! Tell me where is she! Where did she go?” I took a grip of his duster and shook it. Christian came and took my shoulders to pull me away.

“I don’t know.” was everything that he said.  

“No, you have to know! How could you possibly think of her cheating on you?! She loves you from all of her heart! And now she’s gone. GONE Dimitri!” Christian was trying to pull me away, guardians were standing in the middle of Dimitri and me and people were around us staring. It was a total chaos and embarrassment. I finally gave up and fall down on my knees.

“I’m not going to see her baby grow in her body… I’m not going to see her turn into a mother. But most importantly,” I look at him “YOU’re are going to miss all of that.”

A knock on my door of the room woke me up. I woke up with tears in my eyes. The incident that happened… I’m starting to regret it… Everything that I said to Dimitri. I was mean. Too harsh, I think… I feel ashamed.

Christian came in. He had one of his understanding looks on his face. He came closer and hugged me. He layed down next to me and gave me another kiss on my forehead.

“Rose’s mom came after guardians took you to your room. I had to explain everything to her. She said she’s going to call Rose’s father and tell him to find her. He found her once, he can do it the second time.” That calmed me down a bit. “We’ll find her, you’ll see.” he said.

“How is Dimitri? I have to apologize to him.”

“He will be fine. He’s strong. You will do that later. Now you have to rest.” I put my head on his chest and try to breathe.

Listening to the beat of his heart and his breathing  made me sleepy again.

“Christian? Do you think Rose would do such a thing?” I asked him on the edge of my awakeness.

First he took a deep breathe in and said, “I don’t know, Liss.”

“I don’t know.” he repeated.