Chapter 8

EDDIE CASTILE

Rose walked away to the gym and I had to go to Jill's class. Why is she so mysterious? What is wrong? Damn, the curiosity is killing me.

I'm not going to ask Lissa or Dimitri what is going on. I'm going to obey Rose's wish. She knows what she's doing, whatever that is...

Jill had biology class. She was waiting for me by the door. When she saw me coming she smiled and straightened from leaning on the wall.

"What did she tell?" Jill asked.

"The same as before. But don't worry. I think she's telling the truth." I lie. She nods and I glance my fingers through her hair. We see professor approaching so we walked in the class.

Jill sits at the back of the class, away from windows. I stand behind her but closer to the windows for safety. Standing there watching a documentary about whales and guarding at the same time is torture. Worse than listening to the professor. The sound of whales are making me sleepy and standing up for whole day makes my legs shake. I somehow make it through.

It's lunch time. Jill and I walk through the halls to the feeders rooms. We just came to the end of the hall and we should turn right but Jill grabs my hand and drags me to the left. It's the hallway to the gardens. We don't go outside. Jill leads me to one of the empty rooms on the Academy that staff forgot about and didn't lock it.

The room is probably supposed to be an office. It’s dusty and dark. There's a brown vintage sofa opposite the desk. Jill sat down and tapped on it showing me to sit beside her. It made me smile.

"Are you sure you're not hungry?" I asked. She shaked her head and smiled beautifully. Her smile really made my day. She smiles so sincerely and joyfully. Her eyes sparkle and she shrinks just for a little because she’s shy.

I came closer to her to put my hands on her cheeks and kissed her. She took my jacket and pulled me closer so I almost fell on her but I quickly took a grip on sofa.

I sat on sofa and she sat on my lap. She took my jacket off and put it on sofa next to us. My hands were on her waist and I lifted her shirt a little. I felt that she twitched. I tickled her with my fingers and she laughed. She hates that.

“Stop!” She laughed and tried to get my hands away from her waist. I smiled with her but I didn’t stop.

My phone started to ring. We both looked at my jacket. Jill took it and took out my cell.

“It’s my beloved sister.” she said and handed me the phone. I took it but Jill changed her mind and took it back. She hanged up.

“Why was that?” I asked. She sat back on sofa.

“I don’t know. I just hate getting all that attention, I guess.” she said looking at her hands.

“Well you know that I have to speak to her and report how things are going, right?” I say.

“She calls everytime we’re together! Not that she separated my family now she also wants to separate us!” she said angrily.

“No, she doesn’t. She just worries about you. And want’s to protect you.”

“Yeah, so her crown will be safe on her head.” she crossed her arms.

“Wait, what? You think that all of this is just for her position as a Queen?” I ask her and stand up. “What do you think this isn’t hard for her? She also feels weird for her father cheating on her mom.” I shouldn’t say that… I feel like I offended her.

“Your sister-”

“I hate when people call her my sister.” she said.

“Why?” I ask her.

“Because that reminds me of my mom cheating on my dad. Okay?” she said. “Because before Rose and others came my family was perfect and happy. Now my parents are not divorced only because of me. Because they don’t want to make me feel guilty.” She stood up and walked to the door.

“Jill, wait.”

“I have a school meeting and it’s well secured. You’re off charge till it’s end.” and she walked out.

All situation with her family affected her hard. I looked at my cell and decided that I’m not going to talk to Lissa until I talk to Rose first. And then I need to calm Jill down. God, why all this drama?

I put my jacket back on and walk to the offices. I go to teachers chambers and ask for Rose.

“She isn’t here yet. But when she comes I’ll tell her that you’re looking for her.” the secretary said.

“Tell her to come on schools driveway.” I said and went outside.

I’m going to wait here for her. There’s a bench on the driveway. I sit on it and relax. I close my eyes and try not to think about any problems I have. Not working.

I can’t stop thinking about Jill’s way of thinking about Lissa’s calls and protection. I have to make her change her mind. Lissa isn’t the way she thinks she is. I know Lissa and I know she would never use anyone for her own good. I was picked as her guardian when we were practicing and preparing ourselves for reality. And most of the time she was talking about others. I know that Lissa wants the best for her sister. Even if they have a different mother.

Then my mind starts to think about Rose. Something has to be wrong on Court. I actually worry about Lissa. What if Lissa is in some kind of danger and she called me for help? Ok, now I start to panic.

I open my eyes and check my phone. She didn't call me again. I have to call her back. The phone is ringing but nobody answered. Where is Rose?

No, she couldn't run away if danger came. She would never leave Lissa like that. Or Dimitri. She would protect them with her life. It was her life dream. What the hell was she thinking to come here?

Typical Rose… Nobody has any idea of what her plans are. I smile remembering all the time I spent with her. The good ones, I mean. Seriously, again? Not even a day passes of me not thinking about Mason’s death… My buddy. In few months

it’s going to be a year of his death. I hate thinking about it but I can’t help it. He sacrificed his life for us. We shouldn’t even go to that town and search for that strigoi hiding place. It was a stupid thing to do. A life was lost because of it. And I encouraged it to happen.

I hear footsteps approaching. I turn around and see a shadow of a woman coming. She has long curly hair and wears a long coat that reminds me of Dimitri’s duster.

It’s Rose.