Chapter 9

ROSE

When I entered the gym, a bunch of juniors were warming up. They looked so young. When they saw me, they stood up and stood still.

"Hello. I'm Guardian Hathaway and from now on, I'll be your trainer." Everybody was staring at me and not saying anything. They were so shy.

"Calm down," I said smiling. "Relax. You don't have to be so scared. From you I expect hard work and I want you to show me the wilth to become a Guardian. You are 4 years away from your graduation but don't worry you still have time to learn all the skills of a great protector. All you have to manage is to forget about your fears and believe in yourself."

All of this made me remember something. Or better someone.

Dimitri.

With his help I got through school and graduated. He showed me how to fight, block attacks, run fast and he filled my head with all of those zen life lessons. He was the best mentor.

I miss him. I hate to say that but I do. I feel like a fish out of water. I don't want to get out of my bed if I don't wish him good morning, I hate eating without wishing him good meal, my day sucks if I don't wish him a good day and say to him "I love you"...

But he broke my heart to pieces and stepped on them so it turned into ashes. So did Lissa. The only family I had disappointed me and doubt in me. I wouldn’t care if my mother wouldn’t believe me… I don’t care if the whole world was going to call me a bloodwhore. But them…

Now there’s only me and my child. We will get through this. I will make sure my child will have the mother I never had.

“If you manage to do that and to not be late for class, I’m sure we can all have a great relationship.” I hope I calmed them down a bit.

The class had 22 novices. 15 male and 7 female students. First I sent them on a run. Then they were ready for practise.

They had knowledge of fighting but they were just too shy. I showed the moves Alberta said they need to practise and they loked like they can handle it quickly.

When the class ended I heard novices talking about me. And the comments they had were mostly positive. It made me feel happy.

It was lunch time and after lunch I have an hour of free time. I was starving. I walked to the teachers chambers and left the papers on my desk.

"Guardian Hathaway, Guardian Castille was looking for you and he said he's waiting for you at the driveway." Shit. I forgot about him. We knew each other forever. I guess he won't judge me. I hope he will believe me.

I put on my coat, grab a snack on my way and step outside. It was windy but not really cold and a little foggy. I was walking to the driveway gasping, my hands shaking and thinking about Eddie’s response. I didn’t even finish my snack.

Eddie was sitting on a bench. He was showing me his back.

He turned around. He probably heard me coming. He stood up and waited for me to come.