Chapter 6

ROSE

"I didn't know that anyone from the Court is coming." Alberta said confused.

"It was not planned." I say.

"It's nice to see you though." she smiled.

"It's nice to see you too." I smile back.

We take a walk through the garden.

"I heard you were shot. By Natasha Ozera..."

"Huh, yeah. I'm healed now." I reply. "How is the safety around here? Is your security improved?"

"Yes. The only thing that is worrying me is Jill Mastrano's situation. We didn't notice anything but I think she isn't comfortable with all of this. Why isn't she at the Court?"

"She doesn't want to. It's hard for her with a half-sister thing. Oh, and that some of the people hate her for appearing on the Court. And the attack on the property... She probably just wants to stay in familiar place with familiar people." I say.

And speaking of the wolf... Jill and her Guardian Eddie Castille were standing by the waterfall. I didn't want to explain why I'm here to any of them. And I don't want to risk them telling where I am to Lissa or Dimitri...

"Let's head to the office." and I quickly turn away. Alberta followed me. Before entering in, I stopped Alberta.

"Nobody knows I'm here. I want it stay that way." I say that to her quietly. She nods.

"I hope you know what you're doing." I nod to her.

Walking down the Academy made me feel weird. Remembering all the good and all the bad memories… Ok, more of bad ones but still…

Alberta walked me the same way to the headmaster’s room as Lissa and I took when they brought us back. I felt like a student again. Walking down through the dining hall, seeing everybody staring at me and whispering to each other actually made me feel worse than it did last time.

When we left dining hall Alberta took my hand to pause me.

“Rose, you still didn’t tell me what are you doing here.” she said. “You came here alone, with suitcases without the explanation…” I can’t tell her anything yet. After a moment of silence she spoke again.

“Is… Is the Queen alright?” she asked.

“The Queen is just fine. Everyone is perfectly well.” I fake a smile.

“Then what are you doing here? Is this some kind of undercover mission? Because if it is, I have not been informed of it.”

“Look… it’s a long story. And we’ll have time to talk about it later. Can I go talk to him now?” I say crossing my arms.

“Umm… Yes. Sure. Him.”

Alberta knocked the door.

“You see,... about the principal…” And the door opened.

And this moment just filled my memory, because I got the same view as I did then. Cleaned room full of papers and books and in the middle of the room, right in front of me there's a desk with... Ellen Kirova sitting beside it.

It looked so real that I actually looked on my left to check if Alberta is really standing there, just to make sure I didn't travel back in time. But last time Dimitri was standing by my side. This is real...

Kirova wore the same expression, she sat there like she always did all still as a stone. Like she was expecting me.

She pointed her finger on a chair, "Sit." she said. Alberta left us alone and I went to sit down.

"Guardian Rosemarie Hathaway. What do we owe you such pleasure of you visiting us?" she said with her annoying voice, as always.

"You are back at the position of Headmistress? When and how did that happened?" I laugh.

She stood up and walked and talked like she was in the class explaining something.

"As the daughter of the previous Headmaster, was unbehaving, he was not known in the positive way but negative and he had to leave for the good of the Academy. I didn't want some stranger get on that position again, that's why I stepped in again..." She looked out the window.

"I thought I liked a job as a teacher better than this one. But I guess I was wrong." She turned and looked at me.

"And some students are just..." she closed her eyes and shook her head.

"Oh, I understand..." I said pretending to care.

"But I still find it fascinating how you, from all the people decided to come for visit."

"It's a more personal thing actually..."

"You did not just kill somebody for real now, and you're running from prison, did you?” she asked with her eyes wide open.

“No. If we don’t count strigoi.” I smile.

“Oh, my dear Rose… always so tough.” I’m glad she sees me like that. “Tea?” she asked. I nod. I was really thirsty. And there were cookies with the tea. I was hungry too. Starving. She gave me a cup of tea and sat back down on her chair.

“Your father called this morning. He was asking if anyone saw you.” I looked at her. I knew this is going to happen. I stood up and looked at her beggingly.

“Please, don’t tell anyone that I’m here. I… I don’t want to see anyone.” I said and looked down at the table.

“What is going on?” she asked. I didn’t answer. What can I tell her anyway? That I’m pregnant and that the father of this child doesn’t believe me. That nobody believes me. That it sounds impossible that it actually is his and that I can’t explain it…

“The reason that I came here is… because this Academy is everything I know. It was my only home. It’s true that I ran away a couple of times… But now I’m alone in this.” She looked at me puzzled and confused. Was it in the way of ‘I don’t know what are you talking about’ or in the way ‘I don’t believe you, you’re yacking’, I don’t know.

“I need a job here, at the Academy.” was all that I could say for now.