Chapter 7

Connor woke up early. But obviously not early enough for Havolynne was already awake. He watched her as she swiftly moved around the treehouse. She went over to Colin and tapped him lightly. He woke up.

Surprising, Connor thought, Not even a train horn could wake him.

"Okay." Havolynne said. "Let's start to pack."

She gave them each a backpack. They were leather, and obviously hand sewn. They hand a place for a water canteen, and two small pockets on the side, with one bigger pocket in front. Connor put a blanket (rolled up), a sleeping mat (also rolled up), a water canteen, 3-days servings of food and an extra set of clothes Havolynne laid out in it. Colin did the same. He noticed Havolynne also put an extra larger canteen (which he figured was for her Water Element), a bottle of a sparkling substance (which he assumed was magic), her dagger, a small book, and scrolls.

Havolynne stopped in front of the weapons wall. She gestured for Colin and Connor to do so as well.

"Pick a weapon," she said.

Colin looked around. He became a little fond of Havolynne's dagger, but it was rightfully hers. He scanned the wall. He picked up a sword, but it felt odd in his hands. He need something smaller. He needed daggers. Colin found a pair of Elven looking daggers. He held them. They felt natural. He turned around and nearly stabbed Havolynne with them. Luckily she was fast. She grabbed them from his hands, put them in their sheaths and gave them back to him.

"You have a weapon in your hands, act like it. For your sake," Havolynne said.

Connor smirked.

Connor looked around. The sword he had earlier was meant for a thinner arm. He needed something else. He handled every blade but none seemed right. Then there was one left. Havolynne stepped forward.

"Oh, the Sword of Fire," she said.

"Sword of Fire?" Connor questioned.

"Look at it for yourself. Hold it for yourself. You'll understand," Havolynne responded.

Connor looked at the inscription. Fire will burn. Seemed pretty obvious. But something bothered him. Was it a warning? Connor picked it up. The blade glowed red, but didn't feel hot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Havolynne's face went slack.

It brought back too many memories. Some she wished she could forget. Havolynne had to hide the sadness. She wasn't sure if it worked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The blade was perfect. It seemed to balance perfectly in Connor's hand. He smiled. He leaned over to grab a sheath but didn't need it. The blade shrunk down in form of a metal ring, with the inscription still visible.

GREAT, he thought. It's gonna keep reminding me.

Havolynne tapped her necklace and her bow and sheath appeared. She clean her bow, and her arrows, leaving them sparkling brighter than the stars. When she was satisfied, they transformed back into her magnificent necklace. Colin swore the blue gem twinkled.

They all finished packing, shoving last minute things in their backpacks, when Havolynne asked, "is everyone ready?"

The twins nodded. She instructed them to hold onto her wrists. They did as they were told. And they jumped off.

Colin hated heights.

He also hated falling helplessly.

Colin screamed his head off the whole time, and Connor did too. Suddenly they were engulfed into a water bubble, but unsoaked. The water dissolved and they were left perfectly fine on the ground.

"Let's get moving," Havolynne said, willing the water back into the canteen. She capped it, and continued forward. 

Colin and Connor followed, still having the adrenaline rush from falling.

Their quest had begun.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.