Chapter 15

Colin sat there marveling at Havolynne. She had to be so brave, and strong, to be in this place ALONE. Even if it was for a short time. No figure she got nightmares, he thought.

He would too.

The sun began to rise. Today they WOULD be heading to the Equinox Tree but Havolynne told them that they should stay one more night and focus on their Runic Magic Skills and their Elements.

Colin needed to work on his Runic Magic.

Connor decided he would focus on becoming at least a 4th Circle, and since he was only a 1st, it would take a lot of work.

"BOO!" Colin screamed, as he came out of a bush next to Connor, who screamed his head off and ended up smacking Colin in the face from surprise.

"What was THAT for?" Colin said, rubbing his now red cheek.

"You snuck up on me, you turd!" Connor replied.

"I think I got Stealth covered then! Just need a Magic Arrow!!!" Colin said giddily.

"Oh, whatever," Connor said, crossing his arms.

"Wait, why do I need to know Magic Arrow if I use daggers and not a bow?" Colin questioned, puzzled.

"BECAUSE, you may never know when it will come in handy," Havolynne butted in. "Anyways, I think I have a solution to that."

Havolynne tapped her necklace so her bow and quiver appeared. She handed it to Colin, instructing him to NOW create a Magic Arrow to shoot.

Colin did it easily.

Havolynne instructed Connor to do the same thing as well. And after a couple tries, Connor ended up creating a Magic Arrow that shot sparks. An Electric Arrow.

Havolynne had a little bit of curiosity on why an Electric Arrow showed up, but she let the thought slip her mind when Colin started glowing like a darn glowstick.

"What the--" Colin started.

"Congratulations Colin, you are now a 2nd Circle," Havolynne said with a hint of sarcasm.

"Does that happen EVERY time?" Connor asked.

"Not usually, mostly when you become 2nd and 8th since they mark the first time you advance, and the last time you advance," Havolynne replied.

"Huh," Colin and Connor both said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How was Connor supposed to get to his goal of 4th Circle when he hadn't even passed 1st??? All he needed was his stealth, and his resisting of blows.

Done, he smirked, preparing to scare the living daylights out of Colin.

Hmmm, Colin thought. What should I do next?  Detect monster, lesser heal, Ward, Slow fall, or cause f--"

Colin was interrupted by Connor jumping out from behind a tree.

Connor instinctively threw his dagger at Connor, who deflected the blow.

"Sweet! I'm don--" Connor stopped, by being suddenly scared, of something. He looked at Colin and realized he had cause the fear.

"Well, I guess I can cause fear too!" Colin said.

It was Connor's turn to glow like a freaking glowstick.

"Dude, your gonna attract a LOT of bugs if you glow for any longer," Colin said.

Havolynne noticed how bright Connor was glowing. Again, she became suspicious on what it meant, but still kept her mouth shut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was about lunch time when they stopped to take a break. They ate one of their packed servings and sat quietly, at least as quiet as it could be when Colin and Connor were arguing over how good the other was with a weapon.

"Dude! I nearly sliced your head off with my dagger!" Colin exclaimed.

"But you didn't! So your aim is lousy," Connor countered.

"Oh Ya?" Colin said, setting his apple on a rock. He stood back and said, "Watch this." He threw the dagger and it nailed the center of the apple.

"For crying out loud!" Havolynne said. "Daggers are meant for close on combat, not throwing them around like throwing knives!"

"Well show me then!" Colin said right in her face with a smirk.

Not even a second later she had him by the hair and her silver dagger pulled close to his throat.

"THIS is how you use a dagger," she said, releasing him.

"How did you..?" Colin stammered.

"Want a little duel?" Havolynne asked.

"Sure," Colin said pridefully.

She sidestepped, dodged, and countered every move Colin did, and she ended up with her dagger near his throat again.

"You know, being held at dagger point by a pretty girl isn't all that intimidating, I have to admit," Colin smirked.

As soon as he said it, he saw Havolynne's eyes flash with an intimidating glare and hint of anger, but then she released him. She then blushed a little, and walked away.

Colin secretly swore to never underestimate her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

After only an hour, Colin ended up being able to do a Rune of Warding, Detect a monster, and slow his fall. It took him like 20 tries of falling and landing on his butt that he FINALLY mastered it. His poor butt was sore though. Connor however, only managed to do a Lesser heal, detect a monster, and do a Rune of Warding.

Colin hated it, but since he only needed to do a lesser heal, he got his dagger and sliced his finger, causing it to drip blood. He noticed Havolynne sat far away as soon as it start to bleed, but didn't question it.

After trying a couple of times, the cut healed.

Colin moved on to 3rd Circle.

Connor still had two more to go 'til he finished 2nd Circle, Cause fear and Slow Fall, when a little bunny hopped up. He figured he might as well try his "causing of fear" on the little cottontail. He focused and once the bunny looked at him, it booked it, all the way onto Havolynne's lap. She seemed a little startled but welcomed the soft, innocent bunny. It hopped away when Connor got close.

"Did you scare the poor thing?" she asked.

"Yes, but I'm curious on why it ran to you," Connor responded.

Havolynne sat there quiet for a moment, really thinking about it, when Colin zoomed by. Like, he literally was a blur of speed, that talked.

"Woohoo! I can use some super speed!!!" Colin said, speeding around Havolynne and Connor, that is, until he wasn't paying attention, and ran into a tree with a huge, "Oof!"

"Colin!" Havolynne yelled as she went to try to pry his head from the now, face indented tree. "Are you okay?" She asked when she and Connor finally managed to peel him off the tree.

"Ya... I'm just, whoa, why do you have 5 eyes Havolynne?" Colin said dazed

Connor and Havolynne exchanged looks.

"Let's get you all fixed up, you tree hugger," Connor said.