Chapter 28

Why?

Why couldn't Charles let Havolynne be? Let her be happy, leave her alone, and not intrude in her life any more?

Yet, why couldn't Colin shake the feeling that this was more than just for the Sphere.

Was Charles literally after Havolynne, but not to use her to destroy the world, but for his own personal purposes?

A knot formed in his chest, and his heart churned. That pang, that felt so oddly familiar before, was Jealousy.

Colin knew Havolynne had SOME sort of feelings for him, hence why she was so determined to 'rescue' Charles, Ethan and Dove, yet, she was let down once more.

Colin wondered why he even felt this way.

Him, Connor and Havolynne hadn't necessarily been the 'closest.' Sure they were in many of the same classes, and talked often, but they were never 'close.'

Yet she chose them. Havolynne chose to save them from being immobile figures out in the Physical World. She trusted them to help her, yet now she was dangling in his arms, on the edge of unconsciousness, due to blood loss and other wounds.

Colin had failed her.

.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Connor felt guilty.

He had promised Havolynne that he would get himself and Colin out of the Magic World without being harmed. Now they are deliberately standing face-to-face with their enemy.

Havolynne would NOT like this one bit.

Connor thought about the whole time in the Magic World so far. How Havolynne had spared THEM over all others to bring in the Magic World, how she made him promise to be safe... Yet the girl should've known they wouldn't be SAFE.

Connor and Colin do crazy stunts like jumping off of Waterfalls all the time! He thought.

He also remembered how much his brother seemed to change during this whole experience.

Connor could TELL Colin had developed -- even if minute -- feelings for Havolynne. He saw how much he noted her movements. How he accompanied her when he felt she was in danger, or held her close when she was in despair. The moment Connor saw Colin carrying a sleeping Havolynne back to camp from the stream where Charles had threatened her, Connor KNEW some feelings had emerged towards Havolynne.

Connor couldn't let the one thing Colin treasured perish.

Connor glanced at Colin who stood by his side, with Havolynne held soundly in his arms.

Connor needed to make sure he held his promise...

.

 Or at least half of it...

.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colin questioned whether or not he should lay Havolynne down somewhere and fight.

Charles and Connor had already started in a stare-off, and had summoned fire onto their palms. Just by looking at the flames, Colin concluded Charles's strength was regaining itself.

He needed to help his brother.

Colin managed to lay Havolynne against one of the boulders scattered around. Her bleeding had lessened, whether that was a good sign or not, Colin wasn't sure. He wasn't a doctor!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well this should be fun," Charles mocked. "I'll make sure to bury all three of you near each other."

"Just shut it Charles," Connor snapped.

"Why? Come on Connor, you KNOW it's going to happen. You figured that out when you made that promise with Havolynne," Charles smirked.

"What is he talking about Connor?" Colin asked.

"You mean they didn't tell you?" Charles grinned. "Aw, poor little Colin, left out of everything."

"What is he TALKING about Connor," Colin asked harsher.

"Ya, Connor. What am I Talking about?" Charles teased.

"It's just a promise Colin. Between me and Havolynne. That's it," Connor explained.

"Why can't I know?" Colin inquired.

"Colin--" Connor started.

Charles stood back and smirked, and Connor noticed what his plan was.

"Colin, don't let Charles get into your head. He WANTS you to be mad. Don't do it Colin," Connor warned.

Colin stopped. He understood. Charles was one to feed his Fire with Anger. Charles was trying to get Colin to do the same thing.

"What would Havolynne say?" Connor reasoned.

That's all it took for Colin.

Colin's head jerked towards Charles.

"Come at me, bro," Charles teased.

Faster than Connor, or Charles, or even Colin himself could register, Colin sped towards Charles and punched him with his right fist full across the face. It rocked Charles and he took a step back and then steadied himself, blinking his eyes and staring at Colin.

His massive headache must have been like a cannon going off in his head.

Before he could regain focus, Colin grabbed Charles's wrist with his left hand and held it behind his back. 

"That's what you get for hurting Havolynne," Colin hissed.

Colin hit him twice more with his right, square in the nose. 

"And THAT'S what you get for trying to make me turn on my brother." Colin remarked.

Charles sagged and Colin shoved him away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Connor blinked.

How did his brother just do that?

Before Connor could dwell on the fact his brother just used his Speed Rune, the ground rumbled again, throwing him and Colin off-balance.

"You're not going to win that easily, kid," Charles grumbled, standing up with large, menacing flames erupting from each hand.

Colin and Connor exchanged looks.

Uh-oh.