Chapter 16

Connor had left Havolynne to heal Colin's wounds, while he went to practice more of his Runic Magic. He was determined to get to at least 4th Circle before he had to go and fight at the Equinox Tree.

It took forever, but after jumping of a pile of boulders a couple of times, Connor finally managed to slow his fall and moved on to 3rd circle as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How are you feeling?" Havolynne asked Colin, when he finally woke up and started speaking normal. For the past 30 minutes he'd wake up talking giberish and she kept casting a sleep spell on him to hopefully help him. Maybe she did it too many times...

"Why do i feel like i got knocked out like 7 times? I had so many dreams that i was a baby in a cradle falling from the treetops," Colin said, as he sat up.

Yup. Too many times.

"Um...well at least we managed to get you peeled off the tree!" Havolynne said trying to change the subject.

"How long was i out?" Colin asked.

"About half an hour," Havolynne replied.

"Hey! Looks like tree hugger is up! Maybe that crash will knock some sense into you!" Connor said, pausing from his Magic practice.

"Oh, just shut up!" Colin said, smacking Connor in the arm.

Zap!

What the--?

Colin's hair was all frizzed out, after Connor zapping him with mild lightning.

"AWW Come On!" Colin complained.

"Looks like Connor figured out how to use the lightning rune," Havolynne said, although she wasn't so sure...

"But i wasn't even trying!" Connor protested, obviously bewildered.

Havolynne paused a moment and thought of something. The lightning rune could only be used as a whole bolt, coming from the sky, but if the lightning came from Connor's fingers...

"Connor! Try zapping that tree branch!" Havolynne pointed at a large tree beside them.

"Um, okay..." Connor said. He focused as lighting came from his hands and shot the tree branch, breaking it off the tree.

"Colin, why don't you try the lightning rune?" Havolynne asked.

Crack, rumble, ZAP!

A cloud formed and from it a large yellow bolt shot right into the tree, not focusing on a particular branch.

"Oops, i didn't mean for it to hit the WHOLE tree," Colin said.

"Havolynne, why did my lightning come from my hands and Colin's from the sky?" Connor asked, and Colin gave Havolynne a questioning face as well.

"Well, that explains a lot," Havolynne said. "You know how there are sub-elements? Like Water's sub element could be ice, or healing? Well, one of the sub-elements of Fire is..."

"Lightning," Connor finished, with a look of understanding. "Is that why..."

"Your Magic Arrows turned out to be electric? Yes, possibly. And also the reason why your advancing to 2nd Circle's glow was SO bright. Because you still had power that you hadn't realized before."

"AWW MAN!" I want all those Zippity Zappity powers too!" Colin whined.

"Well, it looks like you might just have to cope with the Lightning rune until you can learn the sub-element," Havolynne said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Connor had approximately an hour and a half or so left until Dinner to reach 4th Circle. He still had a LOT to cover. Colin was STILL ahead of him. With Colin needing Conceal, Night vision, and Strength, and him needing all of them, he was quite behind.

Colin would wait 'til it got dark to try out his "Night Vision" but until then, he still had strength and conceal... Let's start with Conceal, he thought. He got one of his daggers and placed it on the ground. He was going to try to conceal it from his sight. Almost making it invisible. It wouldn't work. But then he turned and saw Connor trying to go through his stuff, and somehow Colin easily Concealed his backpack, leaving Connor with a bizzare face.

"REALLY? I just wanted to borrow one of your daggers so i could try something with it!" Connor protested.

"Why not use your sword?" Colin countered.

"UGH! FINE!" Connor said walking away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why don't you use your sword?" Connor mimiced Colin quietly with a sarcastic voice, walking away.

He would if he could, but his darn sword just turned right back into his ring once it left his hands for too long. At least he won't ever lose it, he thought, recalling the time when he took his backpack off for just a second and it literally disappeared. Like SERIOUSLY! How hard is it to keep track of an immobile object?

Connor grabbed a rock and used that instead. On his first try he managed to conceal it. Then he ended up electrocuting it with the lightning rune. Connor thought it wasn't possible to electrocute a rock, until the lightning bolt his it, and the rock sizzled and crackled with electricty. Connor just backed away quietly...

After moving away from his crime scene, he began to focus on speed. Speed is a neccesity so you can strike fast, or run away if your enemy is too overpowering.

And with that, Connor ended up speeding around the camp site like Speedy Gonzalez. He zoomed past Colin who jumped back startled.

Now he only needed Night Vision and Strength.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goodness, Colin thought. He was seriously thinking about zapping Connor with lightning when he zoomed by.

Colin only needed Night Vison and Strength as well. The sun was already beginning to go down.

Colin turned to the boulder next to him. His first try at lifting it, he squirmed and couldn't do it. He tried it again and he felt his back was gonna just break.

"Don't break your back now," Havolynne teased. "You look like an old man."

"Well little missy, you shouldn't be making fun of your elders," Colin said with an old grandpa's voice.

Havolynne laughed, at least, until a huge rock smashed into her, knocking her down.

"Havolynne!" Colin yelled.

He went over and easily threw the giant rock off of her. Strength is done, his mind whispered. NOT NOW! he screamed at his brain.

"What the heck happened?" Havolynne asked dazed.

"Oh gosh! Are you okay? I didn't know I could throw a huge rock that far with Strength," Connor panted as he ran up to Colin and Havolynne.

"I'm fine," Havolynne said getting up, but wincing at the sharp pain in her shoulder.

"Your hurt," Colin said softly.

"It's okay. I can deal with it," Havolynne said, starting to walk away.

"NOPE!" Colin rejected and grabbed her arm. "Sit."

He used a Lesser heal, hoping it would help a little. Havolynne's face relaxed so he figured it worked.

"All better?" Colin asked.

"Yup!" Havolynne said, getting up and walking away.