How souls catch fire

An: Dahil panalo ang ALE kahapon! At May ganap ang AlyDen!

Prompt: Eye contact, How souls catch fire.

~*~

Dennise

"Besh!" The door slammed open and I lazily opened an eye to look at her.

"Besh!" I groaned. "Don't you know how to knock?"

"Sorry na. Just that you're coming with me" I raised an eyebrow.

"Ahuh. Says who?" I said and turned to another side of my table where I can't see her face. I love this girl but really she can be annoying sometimes.

"Den naman! Don't tell me you forgot?" it was her turn to groan exasperatedly. I just shrugged.

"Whatever prior commitment that is, I'm sure it's cancelable." Ella then turned my swivel chair around to make me face her.

"Besh! Engagement party na nila mamaya! You promised you will come!" Oh. That. Definitely not cancelable. I straightened up.

"Required ba attendance ko doon? I'm sure they won't mind naman if I don't make an appearance." Ella gave me a wack on the back of my head.

"Dra. Dennise Michelle Lazaro. Please don't force me to drag you out of your clinic!" Ella said sternly that made me roll my eyes.

"Besh naman. I performed an operation earlier. I'm supposed to be resting right now" A crease formed on Ella's forehead.

"And yet, you're here, moping about your work. God, Den. Sobrang minsan lang tayong lumabas. Kahit hindi na lang para sa ikakasal. For your sake na rin. Tigang na nga sex life mo, tigang pa rin ang social life mo. You can't marry your work y'know."

"You know how I feel about these things." I rolled my eyes. Again. Kasal na sana kami... If only—

"Exactly, Besh. At walang mangyayari sa'yo kung dito ka lang. How will you find the one kung nilulunod mo lang ang sarili mo sa trabaho? Tsaka hello ex-teammate mo po siya. Not just anyone." I got up. Knowing Ella, she'll never stop unless I do what she wants. Donya, e.

"Fine. Fine. Where do you want me?" Ella grinned.

"We're going to look for your dress of course"

"Well, that's a relief. Akala ko papalibre ka na naman." Hinampas naman ako nito at lumabas na kami.

~*~

"Dra. Lazaro, so nice of you to come" Gretch welcomed us with a hug and beso. I returned the favor.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. Congrats on you and Robi's engagement" I beamed at her. Yep. They're finally getting married. Robi popped the question a month ago.

"Don't believe her, Gretch. I had to drag her out of her workhole before coming here" Ella said. Gretch eyed me a moment before I pulled my signature peace sign.

"Well, someone looks dashing tonight" I turned to Robi wearing a tux and a white mask. We've grown close when I was still in my sportscaster days.

Didn't I mention that it's a masquerade party? Well, now you know.

"You look better without a lab coat on, Doctora." He gave me a head to toe look.

I'm wearing a lacy white dress with flowers embroidered on it paired with stylish silver stilettos and a white mask perched on my nose.