Maybe... not

Maybe we'll meet someday

Dennise was coming home from a shoot of her online show Down The Line. It was an interview with the Ateneo Lady Eagles regarding them winning the UAAP season 79 finals against the Lady Archers. It was a good run for the girls and Dennise was proud of her little sisters. It was a proud ate moment for her watching them improve like that from her cute babies to this strong young ladies. But, it was a tiring shoot. An emotionally tiring one.

Filming it at the Blue Eagle Gym is one thing. Plus, seeing everyone else in their blue and white jerseys didn't help. It makes her want to grab her no. 13 jersey herself. Dennise sighed.

And a certain trio is not helping with the reminiscing process. The way that Beatriz teases Madeline and how Jhoana would glare at Bea is just too nostalgic. Bea reminds Dennise of a certain Morena skinned girl who always makes her jealous on purpose. She knows her baby bear doesn't mean to. It's just hard not to when the media itself refers to Bea as the baby phenom. And Jho, God, Jho reminds her of herself. Scared, unsure of everything, confused. She just wished the two doesn't end up like them. Mahirap ang madiktahan.

At a coffee shop.

Dennise shook her head as she parks in a café somewhere along katipunan. She needed to keep her mind off of things that will have her running back to nothing again. Nothing as in her.

Dennise ordered her usual and sat at the farthest corner of the coffee shop. It was a secluded place but she can't take chances. The last thing she needs right now is a fan mobbing her for pictures. She's basically a celebrity now. And so is she. Her mind rattled on. Dennise chose to ignore it. No use waging wars in your head with battles already lost.

"Frappuccino for Dennise" The man on the counter called out.

Maybe I'll try to hide and you'll spot me

Dennise stood up to get the order when the café door swung open. Dennise swung around to look at the new comer in a baby blue dress and cream sandals. Dennise had to look twice before taking in the sight. It was her. It's really her. Dennise gave the girl another head to toe look. Or not.

Since when did she wear dresses on casual occasions? Since when did she learn to apply her lipstick that shade? What ever happened to bloody comfort over style? It confused Dennise for a second if she was really seeing this. Before she puts her hood up, the girl spotted her and called her name. Great.

Maybe we'll get coffee

"Ly! Wow! Someone's all dolled up" Dennise pointed out at the girl's get up.

"Came from a shoot. You?" Dennise suddenly felt uncomfortable in her ripped jeans and hoodie. She has that tingling sensation of being irritable again. She just can't imagine why she's feeling that towards Alyssa.

Her Alyssa could make her melt on the ground with just a simple breathe of her name on her lips. One stare from Alyssa is enough to weaken her knees. One smirk is enough to have her heart running a marathon in her chest. But, then again. That was her Alyssa. The Alyssa in front of her is no longer hers. This Alyssa in front of her is fabricated to suit Kiefer Ravena and not Dennise Lazaro. Dennise misses her Alyssa. The real one. Not the perfect lie.

Maybe we'll start talking

They exchanged stories and chitchats until Dennise couldn't take it any longer. She brought out her wet wipes and urged Alyssa to come closer. Dennise then started erasing every trace of make up on the girl's face.

"What are you doing?" asked Alyssa quietly.

"I always loved it when you're simple" Dennise whispered as she lets her fingers flitter on Alyssa's red lips, wiping away the traces of lipstick.

Before they could stop it, Dennise lightly brushed her lips against Alyssa's. Alyssa kissed back with the same light tenderness before pulling away.

Maybe we'll start over

"I missed you, Den" Alyssa breathes.

"I know I miss you too." Dennise replied. She interlaced her hand with Alyssa's and smiled sadly.

"We're safe here" Dennise whispered. Alyssa nodded.

Maybe we'll have our beginning once again

And they were two teenagers again. Hiding from the camera. Suppressing grins. Very much in love with each other.

Then Alyssa's phone rung. It was Vania, her manager.

"you have to go?" Dennise's voice broke but she kept a smile. Alyssa nodded.

"Ate Van wants me to meet with Kiefer." Alyssa hung her head low. Dennise let go of their joined hands. Alyssa's eyes saddened.

"Say hi to Kiefer for me" Dennise said and kissed her cheeks.

Maybe we'll be with each other someday

"Dennise, I love you" Alyssa said. Dennise just smiled sadly at this.

"I know. Go na. He's waiting for you" Dennise said. Alyssa left. As Dennise watched her retreating back.

Same lips. Same face. Same body. Same smile. Same person. Dennise is running back to nothing again. But, this time, nothing has changed. Nothing doesn't feel like home anymore. Nothing just walks away now. Nothing no longer tastes like strawberries but coffee. Nothing says I love you in fear and not out of love. One thing hasn't changed tho. Nothing is still scared of everything.

Alyssa is still scared. Nothing can ever change that. And in that small secluded corner in an unknown coffee shop in katipunan, Dennise wept not for a love lost but for a love that wasn't brought to battle with.

Or maybe not

~*~

An: The italicized font is a poem I wrote. btw since last update garnered lots of great reviews, do you want to a part II?