Chapter seventeen

-TAYLOR-

"Miss Evans, can you explain number five to Mr Parker." My math teacher ordered across the room and I rolled my eyes but complied. I stood up and walked to Luke's seat before plopping down besides him and glaring at his cheeky grin.

"Luke. You don't need help in math. We both know that." I playfully scorned and he laughed and scooted closer to me before responding.

"No, I do not. But I did want to see my girl friend." He murmured distractedly as he pulled my seat unnervingly close to his.

"You can't see me from over there? What? Is your eyesight getting bad with age?" I questioned cheekily and he shrugged with a small grin at my sarcasm in response.

"Yes I can see you, but I can't do this when you're across the room." He trailed off and in a matter of two seconds our lips were molded together and he was leaned over me to the point that he was practically on top of me.

"Miss Evans! Mr Parker!" I heard our teacher obnoxiously shout, but to no avail as Luke's lips never left mine. "Luke! Taylor! This is a PDA violation and also thoroughly inappropriate!" She shouted once more, sounding nearly astounded; making me giggle.

After ruining our kiss and making a sigh leave my boyfriends delectable lips, she started rampaging and whining. Finally before returning to his seat at the sound of her heels clicking against the tile in an annoying fashion as she stormed over to us Luke gave me a grin that'd make you think he was just given a million dollars.

"If I see anything like that again you two will be removed from this class for the day and sent to the office." She grumpily stated in her annoying scratchy voice and without a second thought I proceeded to grab a fistful of Luke's shirt and smash his lips onto mine for a good ten seconds before looking back and smiling happily at her. Without a word she pointed to the door making me very satisfied as I grabbed my bag and Luke's hand a bounced out the door.

"You know that was very inappropriate of you." He jokingly shamed me and I laughed with a shrug as my only response while dragging him towards the exit.

"We have barely been here for three hours and you got us kicked out of class, I mean I helped but- Taylor where the hell are you taking me?" He asked after realizing we weren't heading towards the car but towards the football field. "Taylor? Are we going into the woods? Are you gonna kill me? Crap look I'm sorry it was my fault too-" My strange boyfriend started to rant and I burst out laughing.

"Shut up Luke. We're going to my spot." I explained and got no response making me laugh. I glanced back and I see him staring wearily at me.

"Are we going to 'your spot' so you can  murder me?" He asked quietly using finger quotes and I laughed, rolling my eyes once more and not responding as I took him farther into the woods until I saw the familiar small beaten down house and sighed in relief. I let go of Luke's hand and easily climbed up onto the roof, an action I'd done so many times, before turning to see Luke still on the ground and staring at me with raised eyebrows.

"Oh come on!" I shouted and he laughed lightly, shaking his head before following the same path I did. I watched as he ran towards me and pushed himself up onto the long knocked over and broken tree, before finally pulling himself up and onto the roof; sitting beside me.

He glanced at me with a happy smile on his face and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me towards him so he could easily kiss the top of my head.

"This is my favorite spot in the world." I told him honestly looking out across the still river and between the trees, quickly glancing back towards him I see him staring intently at me making me smile.

"I can see why, it's beautiful." He stated glancing at the lake before looking back to me. I smiled before leaning over to place a short kiss on his lips.

"It's crazy how just sitting up here makes me feel like all of the crazy things aren't happening. Like just being up here lifts all the stress and weight. It's like drugs, the higher you are the more peaceful things are. I just wish I could always feel so calm and happy, it's like complete and utter oblivion but I only feel an overwhelming sense of tranquility." I started to rant before slowly drifting off towards the end. I looked towards him and he was just silently staring. "Heh, I'm sorry" I mumbled with a quiet, embarrassed laugh and he shook his head.

"No, no. Really, don't be. I love it when you talk like this. You have so many things always running through your mind and to hear even just one of those, it's... it's amazing." He sincerely said and I smiled tightly, leaning completely into his body.

It's funny. I was never one with words growing up. Not until Amelia had made me think in a different way. She challenged me and it actually changed who I was. She was the better person, she always had been. But one simple mistake made her lose everything. It made her lose her entire existence. Even her memory, for months people really focused on her, she was the only thing that mattered. But after the shock wears off, none of them were affected. Even people who hadn't known her acted like they did. Ally would show me pictures of memorials they set up and it made me so mad.

Those people didn't know her. They didn't know her life. They just knew of her. She was supposed to go to Harvard. That girl was a genius. She was supposed to get married in a cute little place with lots of flowers and colors. She was supposed to have love, a big happy family, and a long life. She wasn't supposed to die.

"Baby what's wrong?" I heard Luke's concerned voice bring me out of my thoughts. I didn't realize I was crying until I felt that my face was soaked with my tears. I wiped my cheeks and shook my head, I grabbed his face and kissed him with as much force as I could muster up and after a couple seconds of shock I felt him slowly returning my kiss. At least for a couple seconds, before he pulled away.

"Just thinking about Amelia. I was going to go visit her grave the other day. I meant to when I first came back but I couldn't. I haven't been there since the funeral." I told him truthfully and he didn't say a word. Which I was grateful for. I didn't want any apologies and I definitely didn't want any pity. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his lap before resting his chin on the top of my head and just siting with me in silence.

"One day you're gonna get out of this town and everything will be okay in the end. I promise." He quietly said. With the tone in his voice and the sincerity behind that promise I actually almost believed that. I believed that he wouldn't lie about that. But then again, just because it's a lie to you it doesn't mean the other person is lying. One persons truth is another's lie, perspective is a simple thing.

*****

Shorter chapter but I should have another up in the next couple days! :)